More cories okay?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fangirl

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
Tennessee
I have moved my two cories (the final occupants of a previous 20 gallon) into my 75 gallon. I figure that they are probably lonely in there. These cories are several years old. Would it be okay to add maybe 3 more to keep them company and possibly coax them out into the open for play. Would they be compatible with the other tankmates? (see signature)

Fangirl

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
Tennessee
Oh, also considering a clown loach for the tank.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Definitely add more cories! I would throw like 8 in there (but I LOVE cories :eek:). But 3 more would be okay as well, just get them into a larger group. They will come out a lot if they have a school to feel safe and comfortable in. And yes, a school of cories will get along ok with the current tank mates

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Oh, also considering a clown loach for the tank.
I would avoid this, I would do either school of cories OR school of clown loaches (they like to be in groups as well). Keeping schooling fish in schools is important if you want them to come out and act "normal". If they do not feel safe they will never come out of hiding, and being in a school provides this safety.
Maybe someone else has had experience otherwise... but yea

yss

AC Members
Jan 2, 2012
Northern VA
Real Name
Yun
One clown loach is not a good idea. Like aviva said you need a school for each fish. I would say at least 4 for loaches and 8 for corys.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
The clown loaches will eventually need a larger tank anyways.

The only thing I would worry about is the rainbow shark, depending on yours personality. You could add quite a few more corys...generally its best to get all of the same species.

Fangirl

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
Tennessee
Not going to go for the loaches. I did get three more cories. Adorable little fellows.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I would actually add even another 2 or 3 if you can. Cories do best in shoals of 6 or more and you have plenty of room for them . Like JP said though, keep an eye on that shark. Depending on the temperament that could be an issue..but hopefully not.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
:iagree: I have about 12 cories in my 75G.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store