Baby Pleco's Discovered

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishhed

AC Members
Oct 5, 2011
I bought a "moonrock" (which is basically a small ceramic cave) from w@lmart awhile back. Noticed that my young albino bristle-nose pleco has been in there a week. Alive but not coming out. Closer notice I find a gang of pleco fry swimming around. I transferred moonrock, babies and daddy to a guppy net.

What do I do now??? How long until I must transfer to a larger tank? I don't want them to be lunch, and I cannot house (provided they live) this many plecos long term.

Thanks!

Water Temp = 79 F
PH = 7
all else zeros.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I'd just leave them in the tank and see how many make it on their own. There will be many, many more coming along, and if a few from each spawn grow out they won't overload the tank too quickly. If you want to swap them for store credit at your lfs they'll most likely want them to be 1" or larger, which takes a couple months IME. In the meantime there will most likely be another spawn.

spkehl

AC Members
Jan 1, 2012
Waco, TX
I'm jealous. Out of the 7 or 8 bristlenose plecos I have bought, only one has been female. They are hard to sex when very small. So far I haven't been able to get the female to breed.

fishhed

AC Members
Oct 5, 2011
Thanks all!

Have them in a net - there must be just over 20 of them. I'll update every so often and let you know how they are doing. I've gotten attached to these ugly little buggers - wish me luck!

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Mine keep spawning and even though I know some are dinner for the other fish, I always end up with at least 10 fry making it to the 2 inch stage.

Good luck with them!

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
Congratulations on your babies!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store