Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Bally's 40B

Usergroup
    AC Members
    The sand stayed warm and, but without flow. My hermits were still with the sand so they may have moved it a bit. I wasn't aware that moving sand beds was such an issue. Thinking about it, it makes complete sense. I'll move it all over, give it a few hours and run some tests. I'm assuming the general ammonia, tirites, and trates are the big ones? I can run all of them if need be.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Tank looks great! Glad you got your slimmer figured out.

As far as tests, those are the three id check. If you absolutely need them back in by Monday maybe plan on a quick 5gal WC and dosing some prime to help calm things down (if you do have elevated levels, that is)

Other than that it looks really good!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    5 hours into the swap and my ammonia is 0. I haven't checked the rest though. I will tomorrow afternoon. I'll wait till thursday for fish. I keep thinking today is Saturday since I don't have class or work tomorrow.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Good call greech. I have an ammonia spike of .5 today, 0 nitrate and 0 nitrite. So basically I'm starting with a "fresh" tank it appears

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Graham
    Last Activity
    09-11-2014 8:54 PM
    Not quite a fresh start. Your LR is fully cured and will convert it fairly quick. The problem is adding all the livestock back at the same time. Tank probably wouldn't handle that load even after everything settles down. I probably wouldn't add all the fish back at once and the nem should go in last.
    SG = 1.024-6; Alkalinity 8.3-9.3 dKH; Calcium 420; Magnesium 1300; Temp = 76 to 80; pH = 7.9-8.3. Alkalinity and calcium are dependent on Mg.

"You can't be half a gangster" - Jimmy Darmody, Boardwalk Empire

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Quote Originally Posted by greech View Post
    Not quite a fresh start. Your LR is fully cured and will convert it fairly quick. The problem is adding all the livestock back at the same time. Tank probably wouldn't handle that load even after everything settles down. I probably wouldn't add all the fish back at once and the nem should go in last.
    Out of curiosity, why wouldn't it be able to support the bioload? Because it was put in cold water, ~ 60 degrees?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    11-23-2014 9:09 AM
    It's tricky to judge. Your sand bed had some of your bio-filter (hence why you are now seeing ammonia - much of it died). Depending on how you stacked the rock your LR may have some readjusting to do (nothing that'd be noticeable on a test kit but enough to lower the bio-potential slightly). Just something as simple as a rock-side now facing downwards or the difference in flow could cause a difference.

Hence why it is tricky to judge. Some tanks you see a pronounced mini-cycle on a move like this. Others nothing at all. I've done it before with freshwater tank without even seeing a change.

I'm looking at the same problem pretty soon. I'm upgrading my tank and there isn't going to be anywhere for the live-stock to camp out so I'll have to hope I don't get a major effect from the transfer. But it is always a risk when you upset the balance of the tank.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
    - Terry Pratchett

Freshwater - 120g, 75g, 28g.
    Saltwater - 40B

Usergroup
    AC Members
    That makes perfect sense. I might buy a few more lbs of cured rock to help out when I add the fish back. In your guys opinion, in what order would you return things?

Usergroup
    AC Members

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Still showing only ammonia
    I'm going to grab a few more lbs of cured LR and then do a very large water change and wait some more.

I hate waiting... Patience is not one of my virtues.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread Information