Kanamycin Flakes with Neomycin combo safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AuraBoyX

AC Members
Feb 5, 2011
I have a sick guppy and am curious if I can feed Kanamycin flakes while I treat with Neomycin (Neoplex).

Thanks in advance.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Neomycin and Kanamycin can be combined. Both can be hard on the kidneys, however. What are your guppy's signs and symptoms?

AuraBoyX

AC Members
Feb 5, 2011
Well... I have been dealing with 2 mysterious guppy problems for some time now... I feel they are connected or the same thing - but they may not be.

The major one is something my local fish stores don't seem to know what it is except for calling it a 'necrosis'... A pale band of what seems to be dead flesh just overtakes a portion of the guppy trunk. They act fine while it progresses then they just die quickly once it hits a certain point. Once I see it I remove the fish from the tank and put them in a 2 gallon quarantine tank.

The second problem is some of the guppies develop a curved spine... Almost as if their back half becomes paralyzed. Their backside just droops down... These fish eventually become lethargic and cannot keep themselves stable in even a weak current thay die shortly after.

The first time I saw the necrosis was from a feeder guppy I had purchased awhile back (bad idea). I wanted to buy some basic guppy feeder mutts that had interesting qualities to them to try and breed them in. All of them died within 3 days of purchasing them (only one from necrosis the others just died with no signs of illness). These fish were never in my main tank... Only the 2 gallon tank. The tank has been bleached twice since.

My tank is testing healthy... Most of the guppies seem healthy and fine - but when it hits one it hits them hard and quick. I do my water changes and I have salt (marine) in the tank (sg 1.00). It is a 55 gallon with some salt tolerant plants. There are alot of snails in the tank I am trying to get rid of with assasins but it is slowly coming into check.

One thing I will note though is some of the snails shalls have white swirls in them and some small snails are pure white. This 55 gallon I received from a friend who had it stored in his garage for a few months over the summer. I rinsed it out and wiped it down... His fish are healthy though.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Do you think it would be possible to upload some photos of your fish, alive or dead, with clear views of the "necrosis" areas? It sounds a lot like Fish TB. Ulcers and/or necrotic looking areas, curved spines, those are symptoms consistent with TB. Do you have fish that appear emaciated?

Be careful of cross contamination of any other tanks, whether TB or other pathogen this should be considered highly contagious.

Also, in case this is fish TB, you need to be very careful about putting your hands in the water if you have any broken skin at all. Fish TB can cause infection in humans, causing ulcers and granulomas at the site of cuts or broken skin on your hands or arms.

Also, please post your readings on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. You use a liquid test kit, yes? What is the temperature in the tank

AuraBoyX

AC Members
Feb 5, 2011
My sick fish died a few days after posting here in my quarantine tank. I ended up trying to treat with just the Neoplex as I did not have any Furan-2 on hand as somewhere I read suggested (but I have some on order). I didn't use any of the flakes. I decided to go ahead and treat the 55 Gallon guppy 'problem tank' with Neoplex The string of deaths has (at least temporarily) halted... I am still treating with the Neoplex (going on week 2). Things for the moment seem stable... I did however go out and purchase a KH/GH test kit and tested my GH, KH & PH parameters on the 'problem' thank... I was kind of shocked by the results and cannot make sense of the whole GH, PH, KH relationships with everything I read online.This is what I tested:pH = 7.0KH = 3° (50 ppm)GH = 37° (616 ppm)SG (Marine Salt) = 1.001Ammonia = 0Nitrites = 0Nitrates = 40Tank Temp = 78.4°Can anyone shed some light on these readings? The guppys and the few bumblebee gobies seem to be fine... Yet alot of the Snails have white in their shells. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!Also, for perspective -The GH of my tap water is 9°The GH of my 75 gallon freashwater (no salt) tank is 14°The GH of my 20 gallon 3" large flowerhorn tank (which is salted with normal Aquarium salt) is 21°Something tells me these are all high as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store