Bn pleco breeding questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jabo01

Dec 23, 2009
Hemet, California
I have 3 bn plecos that are in a sixty gallon tank with five Cory cats which just spawned as well (1survivor) the plecos have spawned several times with no success I noticed today that some fry were swimming I caught three and put then in a shrimp only tank. Why have I not had any success before. I am not sure if this time will be different. I think the plecos are two male and one female. Do you have any suggestions that may help me out. I have lots of plants and too many mts snails in the tank too and about ten rcs. The fry are like 3/4 of an inch. How old are they.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
My husband and I have a 100 gallon that is heavily planted. I bought two BNs to control algae, and I happen to like the bottom feeders. Wouldn't you know I had a male and a female that spawned!

I have Eco-complete as a substrate. In order for the plants to not take over, I put several pieces of thin slate about 5"x5" in several places in the tank. The pair dug a cave under the slate and had many fry.

I didn't take any of the fry out of the tank. That might be your first mistake. Keep in mind mine was an accidental breeding, but my pair has spawned many times. I have noticed that the fry love thick plants. I have an Anubias that has about 200 leaves, and I could probably make 10 plants out of it. I leave it alone, and I notice the tiny Pleco fry in the plant. Look very closely if your fry have a kind of sac on the belly. This is their first food when they are young. If they make it to the point where the sac is gone, trust me, most will survive.

I feed my fish a quality fish food from www.kensfish.com . And occasionally throw in a zucchini slice (minus the seeds).

I'm at the point where I'm running out of people to give my BNs to, so something has to be going right in my tank - LOL!

If you have any other questions just ask or PM me.

I hope I helped.

jabo01

Dec 23, 2009
Hemet, California
There is no sac on these guys, my concern would be that the other male pleco is eating them or even the female. I really have not tried to have them breed but would not mind it. I tend to like them to do it all natural and not mess with them, they dont even use the pipe caves that I put in there for them, they go between rocks or under the large driftwood piece.I have kept fish for long time and breed cichlids with very good success but not too much luck with these plecos. The three that I moved are doing fine so far, I figure if these all disappear like the past spawns I might have a good chance of three.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The adult plecos do not eat fry, ever. They simply are not getting enough food to survive. You need to ensure the babies have food just about constantly the first few months. A chunk of blanched zuchinni for them everyday would be excellent. They are probably around 3 weeks old.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Not all father plecos are good fathers when they first start out. It may take them a couple (or more) spawns before you get a larger number of fry to survive. That said, I agree with what Debbi said-pleco fry need to be fed constantly once their egg sacs are gone. I usually feed my fry twice a day until they get to be close to an inch long. Good luck.

jabo01

Dec 23, 2009
Hemet, California
Thanks for the help, I feed the tank 6 out of 7 days with waffers or pellets. it seems to me that at any givin time I count ten and the three I have in the other tank. I think this was the third batch but I am not sure if it is the third one for that male.

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
Snails would eat the eggs if they could get them, yes, but most male plecos guard the eggs (some, as val said, are bad fathers overall or for the first view tries) and fry until they are free swimming.

With my bristlenose, when I see the male with wigglers, I move him, cave and all, to my fry tank; it's a 20 gallon so I do a lot of water changes but the fry get more food in there, compared to the 55 breeder tank. Much easier to control the food there too, and since there are only similarly sized fry in the tank, the babies get enough to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store