Anchor worm advice appreciated

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fangsus

Registered Member
Jan 15, 2012
I'm in need of advice as to what to do about my "infestation" of anchor worms. I have lost three fish so far and another has at least one starting to show. So, some background...

I have a 29 gallon tank, and currently I have a dwarf gourami (who is showing signs of anchor worms, after his counterpart, a molly and a killi have died), 5 killis and a pleco left. I want to save these fish and restore my tank back to health, but I don't know where to start.

I have a 10 gallon that is not affected and nothing has crossed tanks. This tank is full and I'm not willing to risk it. I am coming upon a 10 gallon tank from a friend in a day or two which I plan to use to quarantine these fish so I can take care of the 29. I have a 5 gallon in reserve but I'm not sure if I'd like to use it or wait for the 10.

I have read everything from salt baths to dosing them with medicine, there is one chemical a friend suggested, potassium permanganate, that is supposed to deal with anchor worms specifically. So, say I treat all the fish individually, quarantine them in a bare tank and watch them for a month or so, what do I do about the larvae and eggs still floating around in my tank in the mean time? Do I clean all of my ornaments, plants and gravel, filter, airlines, every single thing? Or treat it with medicine or let the life cycle die off?

I appreciate any and every shred of help or answers to my questions.

Thank you,
Stephen

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Potassium permanganate is a known treatment for anchor worms, so that will work. 100mg/2.5 gallons should do it.
I've also heard that you can remove the worms by hand with tweezers, while periodically placing the fish in water so that he can breathe. You would have to remove worms every so often to eventually rid the tank of them, but I think that would do more harm than good for the fish. I think your best bet would be either the potassium permanganate or the salt dips, and when you can, definitely remove any healthy fish from the tank into a quarantine.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
just watch the potassim permangenate. Stuff will stain your clothes quick. Unless you like purple.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store