Betta likes to jump on TOP of filter???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Xeth

AC Members
Jan 14, 2012
I have a betta in a 5 gallon tank with an internal power filter (Tetra Whisper 10i). Because the filter's flow is too strong I've partially submerged it so the lip where the water comes out is slightly under the water line, which makes the current much gentler.

Today my Betta learned that he can jump onto that lip! He usually sits on top of the filter, with his head and one side of his body completely in the air for about 30 seconds and not moving at all :eek:, before he jumps back into the water. I have a lid on the tank but it has a cutout where the filter is sitting, and he manages to squeeze through.

Of course this scares me half to death and he's done it three times already today. Is there something I can do to prevent this (short of getting a different filter) or should I not worry about it?

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
pull the filter out and put a sponge by the outflow to cut the flow
I agree - Do something to prevent the jumping. I lost two Bettas that way. I had a Betta in a 10 gallon moderately planted and he was the only fish. He managed to jump out near the opening where the filter was on the back of the tank. I had another jump out of a 29 gallon!

In nature they jump from puddle to puddle and he is doing what is natural for him.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yeah you want to discourage that with the opening there. Betta's do like to jump and sit themselves in weird places I had one that would get ontop of my Magfloat that I'd leave 1/2" or less below the waterline and sit there for a few minutes half out of the water. My current dragonscale will jump and hit my hand sometimes during feeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store