Looking into getting an octopus-how to keep it in the tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SunshinePuppies

AC Members
Dec 23, 2008
We're going to be getting a dwarf octopus in a few months, and I was wondering what kind of top would keep it in it's tank? I want to make sure that it can't get out, but that the octopus will still get the filtration and the lighting it needs.

I've been researching their needs for a while so I could be sure to provide what it needs for a happy and healthy life. I'm the researcher in the family. lol But my husband's the one who wants it.

My current marine tank is going along successfully. :)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham

SunshinePuppies

AC Members
Dec 23, 2008
I was told by a store that keeps octopus that it's best to have a large container covered in fishnet sank into a larger tank, and then you don't need to have another heater or filter right in with the octopus. :) I called a store on the east coast I think.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Well you could but it would also mean that he'd have crappy flow.. and you do know that an octos lifespan is about 1 year in it's entireity. so if you got a 1/2 grown one.. you got 6 months approx b4 he dies

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
from what I read, the best way to keep an octopus from escaping a home tank is to not put it there in the first place.

liveaquaria.com, unfortunately, is selling these. Even they admit that the level of care required to keep an octopus is such that it is only "recommended" for professional level setting like research institutes or large public aquariums. (of course this is just a "recommendation" meaning they will sell them to anybody who ponies up the money and the extremely high shipping cost. alas.)

For starters: Absolute minimum required size tank is 120 gal, larger is better. And they are extremely strong and all rock needs to be glued solidly down lest the octo pull it over onto itself and die. You cannot keep any other creatures in the tank with it that you do not intend for it to eat, because it will. Most importantly you cannot have it in such a setting where it might get startled, such as by you walking or moving too closely in its vicinity. This may cause it to release its ink cloud in panic. This will require an immediate almost 100 percent water change or the octopus will die. It requires dim light at most, meaning that you are not likely going to see much of it. The mention of double-hulling the tank to keep octo and heater totally away from each other was noted above. Add on the extremely short lifespan as Arakkis notes and you are talking about a monumental expense and effort, for a very low enjoyment factor, for a very short time.

i understand the fascination with octopi and share it. The first time I saw one of these dwarf/mini types I lusted to have it too. But I just have to urge you to withstand this temptation. I would hate to see these become some kind of a fad in the hobby. Above and beyond our own personal issues the last thing we need to be doing is puting any more stress on the populations of any sea creatures, or any wild creatures for that matter. If you've ever seen the figures on how many birds, for instance, die in capture or shipping to fulfil the demand in the hobby market you know how devastating to populations it can be. (Yes there are captive breeding programs but they never seem to make a dent in the wild-capture market.)

just my humble opinion, and your mileage may vary and all that. :)

SunshinePuppies

AC Members
Dec 23, 2008
I did know that they don't live very long. I never really wanted an octopus. It's my family who does. I am happy with my saltwater aquarium that I already have. I even have baby clownfish that my pair decided to have. :) I also have a pair of captive bred Bangaii cardinals that are tending eggs right now. I had always wanted bangaiis but held out until I could get captive bred ones.
I knew all the info about inking when they are scared and that they don't require light on their tank. I researched quite a bit before I gave my hubby the go ahead. I beleive the one we were going to get IS captive bred, but I e-mailed the guy this morning to ask. I should hear back from him soon. If it is a captive bred one we'll probably go ahead with it. I don't buy things that are wild caught, just because I have morals and think people should breed what they have to lessen the strain. And Octopus' have got to be difficult since the parents always die after babies are born.

Last edited:

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Since it's your family that wants the octopus, buy one from a fish market and put it on the floor before the family wakes up.
After the screaming in the morning, tell them you bought one for the tank for a surprise.
Stress how upset you are they they didn't find it earlier so it could go back in the tank.

SunshinePuppies

AC Members
Dec 23, 2008
ewww.
I would probably be the one grossed out. The kids'd probably be holding it and plunking it in my tank!

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
if it comest to suck a worry, you can alway house him in a critter keeper and add some waterflow so he'll still be in the tank, just in isolation

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store