Betta - air pump yes or no?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lilrhody

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Toronto
Hubby got me a 2.5 gal bow front for Christmas - with a filter, a heater and an air pump (with a buble stone). I've been doing a fishless cycle to get it ready - was planning to house a single Betta. Will the Betta hate the bubbles?

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
I don't think he will hate it. He may even like it but it is not necessary.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I don't know that he will hate the bubbles, but IME bettas are not all that fond of a lot of motion in the water. They tend to like more still waters from what I can tell and what I have read. Won't hurt to try it and see how he reacts, but it might be something you end up taking out. I had to take out my sponge filter I had in my betta tank since it created too much surface motion and my female CT def didn't like it.

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
In my opinion, the majority of bettas prefer calm still water, as like their natural living habitat.

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
I've had a lot of bettas, I put an air stone in all of their tanks and none of them really seemed to mind it. It does depend greatly on the personality of the fish, a friend of mine had one and it viciously attacked the air stone so she had to take it out. I find that if you are getting it from a box pet store, they are just thrilled to get out of their dirty little cups most of the time. You can always try it and take it out if you find he/she is not pleased with it :)

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
i would say no. it's not really necessary. In a 2.5 gallon tank, it would add a significant amount of current, which the betta probably wouldn't like. Just monitor the temperature closely because small heaters in my experience are pretty unreliable.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
You said you already have a filter. There is no need for the air pump. For once bettas breathe through the surface so they don't need oxygen rich water like other fish. That's how they survive in those cups. Filters are important to keep the water clean but the bubbler is overboard. I would just go without it. Less clutter in the tank.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I keep a air pump in all of my tanks including the bettas, none seem to mind it in fact I have one that enjoys napping next to the bubbles. Depends on the betta but it certainly won't hurt them.

Wetman

AC Members
Mar 24, 2011
New York
The best use for the air pump is to run a sponge filter. Turn the bubble exit flow towards the side glass, to cut down on current.You can eliminate that external filter, with its strong outflow. Floating plants make bettas comfortable: try Water Sprite, the thicker the better. When new plants form, you discard the big old plant: plant-based filtration!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store