should i reconsider gouramis as a fish to own

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
when i was a lot younger, my parents had a fish tank with gouramis, and I remember one of them bullying the other gouramis to no end. What I did was take that bully out for a little while, then re-introduced him into the tank as kind of like a punishment. Then, something weird happened after that. He was the one getting bullied by another gourami! After that, I've always thought that gouramis were too aggressive for my taste. I still think they are bullies. They're pretty fish, but should I reconsider them for any future tank? should I change my view of them entirely? What are some nice peaceful gourami species to own. Thanks for your help.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
My brother has a number of gouramis and he does not have that aggression problem. But I think what you have experienced is somewhat common among all species. I have plecos that fight among each other.

AquaAaron

Registered Member
Jan 21, 2012
Some are worse than others. The blue/gold gouramis can be bullies, but the dwarf and pearl ones are typically more peaceful.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I have 2 dwarfs they occasionally chase one another but overall are pretty peaceful don't harass any other tankmates.

Wetman

AC Members
Mar 24, 2011
New York
"Gouramis" have been run downhill in the Asian fishmills since your parents' day. Any way you can attend a fish club meeting and get clean, tank-raised gouramis? A bag of tank-raised young T. trichopterus was auctioned at my local last week. Gouramis all develop a pecking order, most strongly among the males, but even among females. Smaller looks gentler, but when a honey gourami is nest-building, defensive strife levels rise. Plant tanks densely, though, and cut down on the aggression.

flyinggig

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
Real Name
Greg
I WISH my dwarf gourami would stand up to my red serpaes more often...... the serpaes are the bullies in my 33g. He doesn't seem to get it, that he's 3 x the size of the little red troublemakers. I would def say that my gourami is peaceful!
(33g - 7 black skirt, 8 red serpae, 2 silver tipped, 2 otos, 2 corys, and Mr. dwarf gourami)

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Pearl Gouramis and Sparkling Gouramis are the peaceful ones. Although sometimes you can have peaceful Honeys, and dwarves. But each fish has a personality ranging from Sweet to Hannibal Lecter like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store