Hippo Tang Rubbing on rocks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chicago_jb

AC Members
Jan 17, 2012
My hippo tang has starting rubbing on the rocks and I didn't see any spots at first, but now after about two weeks of this he has started developing bumps on one side of him. I would say they are white spots but more of white bumps. These bumps are on his body so if it was ich wouldn't I see signs on his fins first?

My question is is this ich or something else?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Without seeing it diagnosis is difficult. Generally if you see a fish rubbing a lot but with no visible spots skin flukes should be the first thing to consider. Now that the spots have appeared it could be ich or lymphocystis, or even something else. Pics would help....

chicago_jb

AC Members
Jan 17, 2012
after reading the symptoms of skin flukes I think this is what he has, he does swim to the top and gasp for air. The rubbing has become less often but the bumps are still visible but doesn't seem to be getting worse. Any ideas on how to treat skin flukes? Thanks

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Prazi pro him in a small container at half dose with an airstone, you'll see the flukes fly off after a minute or two then throw him back in or into a q for a second round in fresh solution.

Though I do want you to look up Lateral Line Disease to see if that matches too

chicago_jb

AC Members
Jan 17, 2012
I have a 75gal tank with a about 100# of live rock...btw. I did a 20 gal water change last night and set up a hospital tank just in case. Today the Blue Tang looks better the bumps seem to have gotten smaller and the white ich like spots are gone. He is still swimming to the top gasping for air every once in awhile so not sure if I should still treat him? How often should I be doing water changes under these circumstances? And how much water should I be changing? Below are the last two months of water testing...

Well I can't get my file to paste right. My Nitrates have been slowly going up so I have been doing my water changes twice a week. My Nitrates are up to 40 but everything else is Zeros and my PH has been consistant at 8.0 and temp has been stable at 76.

Last edited:

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
nope just worms
for gasping in hospital tank use some methylene blue to help with his gasping, and metronidizole/nitrofurazone to clean him up

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store