water changes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loveclaywell

AC Members
Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
Real Name
Victoria.(:
I know its a stupid question,but how often should I change the water in a 1 gallon tank?

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
That would depend on what you have living in there...hopefully nothing more than some shrimp or something, if the tank is cycled, if you have a filter, if it is planted etc.. but you are most likely going to have to do a lot of water changes to keep the parameters stable in a tank that small.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
...and definitely do not overfeed....

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
On the bright side, water changes on a 1g should be as easy as it gets. I'd do 50% daily water changes as it would take less than a minute.

Last edited:

loveclaywell

AC Members
Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
Real Name
Victoria.(:
ok,I have a vt betta in it.I know its small, but i'm gonna get a 5 gallon.But till then i guess i'll do it daily.:)

loveclaywell

AC Members
Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
Real Name
Victoria.(:
OK, so I wake up this morn. and there is a big hole in its tail.It had tail rot when I got it from walmart.What should I do?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
For me, that is generally a sign of poor water quality and I rely on large and frequent water changes. A larger tank and good filtration always helps.....

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I agree, unless there is something in there that he could have snagged his fin on then my guess is that it from the water quality and it's just making the established fin rot worse.

At this point I would be doing probably a couple wc's per day, or at least whenever ammonia and/or nitrite are present. Do you have a good liquid test kit?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store