'North Atlantic' Cold Water Marine Setup...... What are the pitfalls?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flyinggig

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
Real Name
Greg
I have been tinkering with the notion of 'eventually' setting up a marine tank and crossing over to salt water. I live only 200 feet from the ocean and have access to whatever I can collect from it from sand to rock to inverts, etc....
Given the temperature of the water is approx 5 degrees celcius......
Should I give up on the idea?
I know I need an Acrylic tank and what I assume would be a massive chiller.......
Is any of this even possible?

Sure would love to hear your pros and cons!

Krynite

Registered Member
Jan 21, 2012
I don't know too much about saltwater tanks myself, other than what I have read in a few books, and learned from one of the managers at the store I work at. But, if you have the money to shell out for a good cooler, I don't see where the issue would be. I was actually looking into setting up my 125 for two rainbow trout a while back, but heard how expensive coolers could be so I nixed that thought.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Cold water is redic easyI have a 14 bio with a colwater setup, everything came out of a box of fresh oysters and my buddys son's collecting adventures along the beachIt evaporates much slower and seems to be doing fine at 50F, I am running a 1/13hp chiller though.1 Major pitfall I had 1 tank crash ever with this tank when the power went out my chiller was under the tank cab, the heat from the chiller sent the tank up to the mid 80s killed all livestock except for snails, a month later i reset the tank and it's running fine again

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
To put this in perspective a lobster tank is at circa 47F and uses a 1hp chiller, I use a 1hp chiller on a 1000gal SW tank.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
New zealand tank

flyinggig

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
Real Name
Greg
Thanks very much for the link....just had a quick peek.....just what I was looking for!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store