My 2.5 gallon shrimp "bowl"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

woolfam

AC Members
Dec 8, 2008
The "bowl" is a 2.5g jar that floated around work for a couple years. No one wanted it, and a few weeks ago I thought, "Hey, I know a good use for that!"

I had an idea for a little sponge filter for my tank. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the side of the jar, ran a piece of aquarium tubing through the hole, and sealed it with silicon. I put an air stone on the end of the tubing, and I siliconed a coupler for a 1/2" PCV pipe on the bottom of the jar. I cut a slot in the coupler for the air tubing to go into the filter.

I wanted to make this a dirt tank, so I siliconed a piece of plastic canvas around the bottom of the jar to keep the dirt confined so it would not show through the sides of the jar.

I made the sponge filter out of PVC plumbing parts and a Penn-Plax Cascade Bio-Sponge I found at the LFS. (Now for the obligatory apology for cell-phone pics.)

Here you can see the filter inserted in the coupler. The air stone is inside the filter.

For the dirt layer of the substrate I used about 1/2 cup of MTS, about a cup of MGOCPM, a couple teaspoons of a powdered red clay I bought at a local pottery shop, and a few pellets of Osmocote plant food.

I capped the soil with a filter sand I got at a local landscape company.

The DW I had lying around from another project, and the plants I bought at Olathe Pet Shop (Olathe, KS - a great LFS, BTW).

I was excited about getting the plants and forgot to write down what species I bought. I know there's a corkscrew val of some kind, an anubias nana, some kind of crypt, I think some dwarf sag, and some duckweed to help during the break-in.

For light I was using this LED in a small shop-light reflector (I painted the reflector black on the outside).

But I have since changed it to a 26 watt CFL - needed more light.

Here you can see the top with the duckweed and the out-put from the filter.

I'm still waiting for it to cycle. I used some squeezings from my 29g's filter - we'll see if that helps.

My parameters are: pH-7.2, NH3-1.0, NO2-0, NO3-7.5, PO4-1.5, temp-69, KH-2, GH-180.

I've been adding 4 drops of Flourish Excel each day. No shrimp until it cycles and settles down - probably a month or two.

We'll see how it goes...

woolfam

AC Members
Dec 8, 2008
This bowl has been up and running for about three weeks now. I've had to remove several bunches of the duckweed. Here's a current picture with a Sharpie included as a size reference.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Looks great! What shrimp are you planning on adding?

woolfam

AC Members
Dec 8, 2008
The bowl / jar had been moved around storage spots / empty cubicles at work. No one wanted it.

I'm new to the shrimp thing, so I'll probably start with some RCS.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
amazing!

flyinggig

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
Real Name
Greg
Very cool.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Wow! That's gorgeous :) What a talent you have for aquascaping pico tanks...not to mention some handy DIY skills! I doubt I could have bought that nice of a sponge filter, much less made it myself (I don't have a drill bit for glass, anyhow).

I'm really interested in LED bulbs...did you buy that kind online? Or find it in a store somewhere? So far I've only found 5,000k at stores, I'd like to go higher K if possible.

woolfam

AC Members
Dec 8, 2008
The "this LED" in my post above is a link to where I bought the light. I got it hoping that it would be useable for an aquarium, but it was not enough light. The 26w CFL provides quite a bit more light.

And than you for your kind comments.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store