Pygmy Corys dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Darwins_Dog

AC Members
Nov 15, 2007
Newmarket, NH
I added six pygmy corys to my tank the Wednesday before last. I acclimated them using the drip method. They all seemed happy and active for over a week. I found two of them dead on Monday morning, and another is just laying on the substrate breathing heavily. I checked the water, and the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate were 0/0/~7ppm. I do a 25% water change and gravel vac every week. My pH is 7.5, and as far as I know the temp never fluctuates much above or below 76F. It's 10 gallons, planted and there are also three platys (various breeds) and one gold Inca snail. The platys have never given the corys any trouble. Could they be starving? I put in sinking wafers and there is usually flake food that sinks, but I realized that I've never seen them eating.

I couldn't see anything wrong with the first two, but the snail had gotten o them before I found them. The one that is dying now looks to have tiny red spots on its body. Any ideas? I appreciate the help.

Darwins_Dog

AC Members
Nov 15, 2007
Newmarket, NH
Well I'm down to three. I haven't seen any external signs of illness, but I'm wondering if I should switch to feeding antibiotic food, or possible medicate the tank. Would this be a good idea?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store