New 100g: light/substrate etc

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2004
Got a 100g off craigslist with a custom cabinet and canopy. It's got AHsupply ballasts and reflectors, and I have ordered two bulbs, a 55 and 96 watt (just to even out). That is only about half of the bulbs I could put it, but I don't want a bunch of algae. In fact, I'm a little worried with those bulbs alone.....but I don't want uneven lighting on either side of the tank.

What "color" bulb is best for mbuna?

Stock species are cookie cutter-esque:

Yeller labs, Acei, Demasoni

I was thinking of picking up some of that roundish blasting sand if I can find it locally. Otherwise I'll just go with some play sand and rise the bejeezus out of it.

Any thoughts on the sand? I love the tahiti moon sand look but it's so darn expensive.

I'll probably spray-paint on a black background. I've done it with blue before for a planted tank and it worked wonderfully.

I'll get some Tejas holey rock on my next trip to Dallas.

Would the Hydor 300w in-line heater work for a 100g? I live in Louisiana so it usually isn't THAT cold.

I'm getting a Filstar xp3 to add to an old eheim and a HOB I already have. Filtration should be great.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm iffy on play sand...depending on the quality it can be too dirty. I much prefer pfs instead.

I'd think that you would probably want to stick more towards the 10,000K side as around 6700K or so it usually looks a bit more yellow. If you don't have plants you can pretty much do whatever looks best to your eye.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
With the mbunas you are going to have, many people including myself, prefer the 50% daylight / 50% actinic blue bulbs.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
for a 100 ( is ita 5foot by 18wide? ) i would do 12-14 demasonis, 10 yellow labs, 8 aceis, or if you dnt do the demasonis ( mean lil guys! ) then do some sort of peacock (1 male 6 females )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store