almost made an impulse purchase of cyptichromis leptosoma

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
*cyprichromis I mean- Title is incorrect. i was at a cichlid/catfish auction yesterday and almost made an impulse purchase on a (5) breeding group of cyprichromis leptosoma. I'm looking to fill my 40g breeder tank. They were beautiful fish. It looked like either 1 or 2 males, and the rest females from the coloring on the tails. They looked mostly silver but it was probably from being stressed in the bag.

the winning bid was 40 bucks, but part of the reason I didn't bid higher is that I hadn't done thorough research on them, especially on fish I didn't know what I was getting into. I'm sort of a newbie in the hobby.

Now that I've done a little research, I might have passed up a good deal since my tank would be adequate for that breeding group. A maternal mouthbreeder sounds fantastic! But I'm glad I didn't purchase them because it gives me more time to prepare for a fish that I really want. What do you think?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I think u were smart to wait and do ur research. Most people don't have that much self-control! Lol

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Absolutely a great choice to pass...Cyps need more open swimming space than a 40B would provide and should ideally be in large groups (10-12 minimum). They're also notorious for not shipping well which is why I wasn't going to waste upwards of 100 bucks on some for my 55g setup I had...

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Smaller Cyp's need at least a 75 gallon tank, jumbo species 180 or larger. The 40 breeder would be great for growing out fry though. IME $40/5 at an auction is a decent price but not a steal, F1's typically go for around $10/each online.
If you want to stock Tang's in a 40 breeder a couple species of substrate-spawners would be the best bet. Simply not enough swimming space for fish like Cyp's or featherfins. Paracyp's would work, they're more of a rockdweller than Cyp's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store