Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-07-2012 11:41 AM

split tank for cichlids

I have a 75 gallon tall planted tank with common easy freshwater fellows. I wanted a cichlid tank, but I also wanted a well planted tank; the planted won the decision. The plants and inhabs are doing fine.

But I still yearn for a dwarf cichlid community tank. I got the idea to split the 75 gallon tank in the middle, plants and common community to the left, rocks and dwarf cichlid community to the right, with a Hamburg Mattenfilter (HMF) separating the two. My existing two Emperor 380 filters would remain on each side of the HMF also. The HMF would be constructed with two foams to make filter maintenance possible while retaining segregation. That leaves me with two options. a small HMS sump between the two filter foams, or consider one side of the divided tank to be the HMS sump.

I am looking for comments from persons familiar with splitting a tank and/or use of HMF filters.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    What types of chichlids are you looking to get? If you are looking for Africans it will not work due to the very different water requirements of the plants and general community versus the cichlids. Having only half of a 75 gallon to work with you will have to count out any of the larger South Americans as well. If you are going for apistos, rams, keyholes, angels and the like, they would be perfectly fine in a planted community but otherwise I would either pick just one to do or get another tank.
    Science is constructed of facts as a house is of stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house.
    ~Henri Poincare

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.
    ~Albert Einstein

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Josh
    I'm assuming by "dwarf cichlid" the OP is referring to rams, apistos, keyholes, etc.

Most of those fish fit well into a typical community...don't see why you would need to split the tank at all.
    20 gallon long planted
    My carnivorous plants

Quote Originally Posted by Rbishop View Post
    I like the movie Goonies...pretty sure it was a historical documentary....

Usergroup
    AC Members
    'Africans' is a generalization. There are Africans that fit in planted tanks. Pelvicachromis, Teleogramma, and Steatocranus genera are well worth looking at, and are just as easy to keep in a planted tank (true, they might dig, but only if breeding).
    "You're late!"

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to!"

Thread Information