Pleco with "flesh eating wound"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sally P

AC Members
Jan 23, 2012
I am brand new to this forum as of today. My son has had a pleco for probably a couple years. He is HUGE now and for months had what started as a small "wound" on his side. He was also surfacing a lot and "gulping" for air. I believe that his tank was way to crowded for this large fish and he was stressed. My son put him in his own tank and I bought something at Petco called Melafix using one tsp per 10 gallons (and he is now in a 10 gallon tank). It seems to be getting deeper and has what my son calls "pus pockets" around the edge. There also a lot of "gel like" thinks in the tank, like long pus or something. He is fed algae wafers and my son also put driftwood in having read they like it which does get covered with what looks like mold so we took it out for a while; however, he had this problem long before the driftwood. It almost looks like it does when you filet a fish, all pink. This link is a week or so old when he was still in the tank with the other fish. I want tho help this nice gentle fish. http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/...7291391540_636551539_8822414_1330995858_n.jpg

Sally P. I will take another photo and post today.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
The white puss would be a type of fungus that its gotten due to the wound. Lots of water changes are gonna be needed. Clean water means better healing. You could try melafix and pimafix in combination to help out just make sure to pull any carbon you have in the tank filtration unit. Closer clearer pics would help us help you out more.The mold on the driftwood is a different type of fungus. Its normal for the wood to do that. Mine gets its from time to time. Nothing to worry about when it come to the driftwood

Sally P

AC Members
Jan 23, 2012
Thank you Gabe for the info. I will try and pick up the pimafix. I have the Melafix. Could this have come from initially rubbing up against something and then it got infected? It looks awful and we are afraid he will die. I will let my son know about changing the water and taking carbon from filtration unit. I dont know how to tell if there even is carbon in it. I just took another photo of him. I had to put my hand in gently to get him to turn around. He was NOT happy. http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab229/SallyAnne77/Pleco010.jpgAlso, could this be a parasitic infection? The gel-like things floating around make me nervous. I scooped one up in the net to see if it looked "alive" but it doesnt. I think cleaning the tank every day may help? He also poops a LOT. Thanks.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
The fish is going to get far too big for a 10 gallon tank and will need a tank at least 4' long. Poor water conditions will exacerbate this type of wound. It is possible that this might be a heater burn. At this point in time, anything with mold or fungus should be removed and as GEV83 said, clean water is essential. You will need to be very careful using salt with these fish as they are sensitive to it and can cause more harm than good. You need to invest in antibiotics such Maracin and Maracin II (they can be used together). Follow directions and do not stop use until a full treatment course has been administered.

Sally P

AC Members
Jan 23, 2012
Could this be a burn from the heater? My son remembered a while ago the heater he used go way too hot and this guy loves to hang out around it? He isnt getting any better but not really getting worse. Son took the carbon out of the filter last night and changed the water. I know he does need a bigger tank. Son has sand on the bottom of tank but his issue is on his side. I am taking another photo today when he turns around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store