Live food for Dario dario (aka Scarlet Badis, Badis bengalensis sp. Scarlet)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IndianaSam

AC Members
Mar 13, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm setting up a 20 gallon long heavily planted tank and I'm currently looking for inhabitants. After a long search and lots of thought, I've decided on trying to keep Dario Dario. Link to supplier I'm considering.

From my reading, I know that they prefer live foods. Even preferring them to the point of not taking any prepared food. That's fine, I'm willing to deal with that. Unfortunately, I have almost no previous experience with feeding/raising live foods.

So what food would be good for these fish? I was thinking microworms, but I was afraid that the microworms may be too small.

Anyway, that's my question. Also, I'm only thinking about having 6 of them in the tank (possibly with some red cherry shrimp), is that too large or too small of a group?

Thanks,
IndianaSam

badis-scarlet2.gif

Last edited:

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Hey, although it isn't a cichlid, it sure looks like one. So we'll call it an honorary cichlid.

I have heard about this fish's live food requirements as well. It is quite small enough to take baby brine shrimp on a long-term basis. In addition, white worms are also relatively easy to culture.

I seem to remember that another member here picked up some of these fish last year. Let me see if I can track that down and get you some info.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Really small baby guppies might be OK, although I don't know enough about the Scarlet Badis to know whether it would be able to catch them. If they are a viable foodsource, they are still not all that nutritious, so you would need to feed them just before you feed them to the Badis.

Microworms aren't really that gross. They grow in a closed container (with airholes, of course) in potting soil with bread and milk for food. Not too bad. In my experience, the most difficult thing is getting them to concentrate in a ball so you can get them out of the culture medium.

Baby brine shrimp will also definitely work. It's just a fair amount of work to keep hatching and harvesting them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store