Stupid betta :*(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Shogun, the prettiest betta I've seen (platinum halfmoon with long red and silver fins), is dumb as a brick. He decided to swim right into the filter intake. His beautiful long tail got caught and completely shredded almost down to a stub. He is now floating listlessly at the surface, not quite right side up. I added some aquarium salt, and temp is already 80. Hopefully he'll perk up. I'm pretty worried about him. I already cut a sponge and siliconed it to the filter intake area (its not a HOB, its an in-tank filter) and did a water change. Send him your good juju please, and hope my Shogun recovers.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I'm sorry that happened =/ luckily bettas fins grow back rather easily albeit not looking as good as they did before. Maybe bring the water level down a bit so he can reach the surface for air a little easier now that his fins are quite short? Hope he makes a full recovery!

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
IME salt tends to make damaged fins worse. Especially beware if you already have a water softener adding sodium to the water. I think the best help would be to do daily small water changes.

flyinggig

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
Real Name
Greg
Sorry to hear Shogun..... Just doing some filter maintenance of my HOB yesterday and found three of the plastic guards on the end of the intake cage broken.....and guess where my missing black skirt tetra was? On the filter pad. My Bad! Sponge covered now....... The lessons we learn! :duh:

schapman1886

AC Members
Sep 24, 2010
Not to derail the thread, sorry for your loss, but londonloco mentioned melafix. Isn't that damaging to the labyrinth organs? I've always heard that you need to use Bettafix on Bettas and other Anabantoids.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Not to derail the thread, sorry for your loss, but londonloco mentioned melafix. Isn't that damaging to the labyrinth organs? I've always heard that you need to use Bettafix on Bettas and other Anabantoids.
Over the years I've heard the same thing, but googling finds there are as many that say that it's fine as say that's it not fine. I know I've used it on bettas that have come to me with torn fins, never had a problem with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store