Odd happenings... please read and advise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Tank was fine for months. Had 3 emperor tetras in a QT tank waiting to get in and 4 flame tetras in QT. In main tank my powder blue gourami I noticed was sitting at the top or bottom of tank in the corners which is not like him he normally swims out in front of the glass. I also noticed he stopped eating but looked fat so I put him in a hospital tank ( not my QT tank fyi) that is at the same temp and has cycled healthy water, but is bare bottom with a filter and a place to hide. I thought since he was so fat but not eating that it was bloat so I dosed him with a medicine and within an hour he died, although he was acting weird and looked a little funny he in no way seemed like he was on deaths door. But I thought ok it happens, and the QT period was up for the tetras so I put the flame tetras in the tank 1st because they were getting pretty beat up in the QT tank since they are so tiny and in the recent days had nipped fins, one by one they died (still cant find the body of the last but cant see him either so assume dead). They were kinda beat up so I wasnt terribly surprised. Then in the next few days I added the emperor tetras. Now the day after the emperors were added one of my GBR started acting funny and today I found him in a piece of decor dead, but I saw it coming as he stopped eating and was hovering but still mobile a little and "attempted" to eat like he would go up to the top at feeding and peck at it but didnt take anything that I could tell. Also oddly when I found his body (in decor so unaffected by current or other fish) he had poop coming out that was pretty normal looking IMO. Also a fyi the tetras in QT got along until the last week of 4 and then the emperors seem to have gotten fed up with the little flames and started shredding fins, they were alive together and healthy for 4 weeks.

So thats the damage so far, but tonight I saw one of my emperor tetras (not one of the new ones but one of the old ones I have had for 4 months or so) was hiding in a piece of decor (since removed) and pecked at food but did not actually eat it. All other fish seem fine. Water parameters were perfect but I just did a 50% wc (75 gallon tank) just to get junk out since a fish had died and cleaned my filters. Water is a steady 80 deg F. No other fish have any signs of problems and I cannot tell for certain whether the tetra is sick or if he was not hungry (it was the second feeding of the night once I noticed him in the house I wanted to see if he would eat). I do not suspect bullying to this tetra as his is by far the largest emperor tetra by about 25%, is fully grown, and is the alpha male of the school of 6.

So any comments/ideas on whats happening here? Months ago ( I think it was 4 or 5 now?) I had what I thought to be a columnaris infection that killed something like 6 fish but I treated and immediately the deaths stopped. While I know that it can come back if it truly was columnaris these fish do not present with the same symptoms, while they do seem to die quickly once I notice something wrong they show no outward signs of disease save looking a little bloated (not huge but as if they were slightly fat).

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
All the fish that have died were bolated or just the gourami? Have you tested your parameters or did I miss it?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Tested parameters when gourami died to check and all were perfect using liquid API master fresh kit. The tetras that died were not bloated, opposite actually skinny as can be but I am positive they died from stress of being picked on in a small QT tank by much larger emporer tetras, not from w/e is going on. The gourami was noticeably bloated and the blue ram looked "thick" but it was hard to tell because they arnt that skinny of fish like a gourami where it was obvious that he was bloated. But when I treated him for bloat he died almost instantly. Also I thought it was odd that a fish would die while pooping, never seen that before

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Every dwarf I have ever had went out the same way, and a couple pearls as well. Never have been able to nail down what it was.

However, the last die off I expereinced in my tank was caused by callumanus and was only determined as I saw the actually "wigglers" as I was about to flush.

NOt saying that was what it was, but a widespread die off with normal water quality is probably an internal bug.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I think probably you have a couple of things happening. The one and only gourami I ever had died of bloat as well. At any rate to be honest at this point I would do frequent water changes and watch he situation. I don't see anything to do anything about at this point. What did you treat the bloat with?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I treated with the fizzing tablets that treat for a variety of things and turn the water blue/green. He was in a 10 gallon tank and I dosed with 1 tablet (as per instructions) in the past I have had alot of sucess with these type of medications for fungus. I will continue frequent wc prob 25% a night or so. The tetra that was in question last night ate like normal this morning so my worries for him have subsided but I am still not confident I am out of trouble yet. its interesting to find out that dwarf gouramis seem to be prone to bloat, I have another dwarf currently as well (a red and blue one) who was always the weaker and smaller of the two but hes still fine. I will continue wc and monitoring the situation. Also something I remember from the gourami it appeared that one of his eyes was a little bulged but I could never tell 100%, at least not with the certainty I could tell he was bloated.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
With my pearls, I think it was bloat in the traditional sense.

With my dwarfs (blue only) it was just "dwarf grourami" problems. Its like they wake up one morning and say "Im gonna die" then do.

And meds for fungus really won't do anything for internal parasites. A good medicated food soaked with some garlic would probably be worth looking into if you still have concerns. Most of the big boxes will carry a medicated food, the garlic is just to get fish to eat it. Apparently garlic is the cheese of the aquatic culture.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Probably a bacteria infection. Many farmed gouramis are as bad as GBRs in regards to hardiness. They're juiced up with antibiotics initially, but those wear off in the home aquarium.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
But how long would those antibiotics last? I have had that gourami for a long time, the GBR I have had for at least 3 months and the gourami for maybe 6 months?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store