New FOWLR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wateveryousay

AC Members
Jan 19, 2008
Austin, Texas
I am wanting to start a new saltwater aquarium, I am an experienced freshwater aquarium keeper. I would like to do a 10 gallon FOWLR with lots of live rock. I would like to use live sand if that is the proper substrate, I've read different things. I've also read that if I have all live rock a filter is not needed and could even cause occasional ammonia spikes. Are these things true? And i was wondering if anyone knows of any cool inverts or other creatures that actively interact with their environments. Thanks

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
Honestly if I were u I would go with at leats a 30 gallon a 10 gallon is cheaper but also a lot more work and not as stable in water chemistry as a larger aquarium also it limits you on a lot of fish as most cannot live in a 10 gallon. As for the live rock filtration it does filter water but is not adequet a filter will be necessary as it helps to remove a lot of unneeded waste but trust me look on Craigslist and find a bigger tank if possible you will not be sorry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
Oh yes and live sand is a good all around substrate the best in my book but some people like crushed coral and other substrates

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
As long as you don't mind the water problems then by all means go ahead I have heard I don't know the name but I've heard of a seabirds that does beat in a 10 gallon it only get 2.5 inches if you are into those they have nice ones at WWW.swseahorse.com and there captive bred so they are very hady and forgiving of water conditions I just looked up the name its call h. Zosterae or dwarf seahorse

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I'd recommend reading some of the stickies in the general marine section.

If I was starting out, I would at least do a 20 gallon long if possible, opens up stocking and lighting options a bunch. And stay away from crushed coral substrate, which you will see in the sticky.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
My take on tanks less that 20 gallons is that you should really have livestock in mind that you want to keep in a small tank for a while. It isn't so much the water quality concerns (assuming the tank owner is committed to doing the necessary maintenance) as much as the cost to setup not one but two tanks should you decide that you want to uprade after a couple of months. Chances are you are looking at buying more (or larger) pumps, filters/skimmers and lighting at a minimum if you get bored with the 10-gallon. Essentially you're buying equipment twice over a fairly short period of time. As RNeiswander mentioned you are also limited on livestock choices and the overall number of anmials you can keep in these size tanks is also limited. You mentioned this being a FOWLR and unless you go with micro sized fish, your looking at 1 to 2 fish total. Also, clownfish are not good fish for a 10-gallon if that is what you are considering.

None of this means that you can't have a great looking 10-gallon tank. You could load it up with inverts like sexy shrimp and maxi-mini carpet nems which really looks stunning IMO. If you stick with the 10 gallon, keep it simple and use it as a test for whether you want to stick with the hobby. Good water, good rock, good flow and a heater is all you need. I would suggest adding at least a HOB filter like an Aquaclear 50 or 70 (or even a 110) to run some mechanical filtration (will need to be cleaned or replaced often) and some carbon and/or GFO. The trick to using these filter is to keep them clean so that detrtius doen't collect.

Wateveryousay

AC Members
Jan 19, 2008
Austin, Texas
The 20 gallon long seems like a good idea, I will be using all live sand and live rock. As for stock, at this point I'm leaning towards a pair of clownfish, and a firefish along with inverts. As for equipment, does this list work?

Powerhead
Filter
Tank
Top/Light
Live Rock
Live Sand

Will that work until i am cycled? How do I add salt to the water and is there a test I need to make sure I'm balanced?

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
The thing u need to check salinity is called a hydrometer and yes the equipment will work but if ur planning on having corals u need a high output light something made for corals

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store