Seahorses

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
What is the maximum size tank that I can put a seahorse as I haveheard that the aquarium can be too large the species I planned on getting was the hippocampus erectus

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
For the larger species, you can use larger systems--preferably tall ones. There isn't necessarily an upper limit for most species as long as the seahorses are able to get the food they need. In the vast majority of situations, training them (hopefully tank-raised individuals, since they are easier in most aspects) to eat out of a small dish is probably the easiest, cleanest way to feed them. It provides a centralized location for any individuals to go ahead and feed to satiation. One exception to this would be dwarf seahorses, which need high enough food density in the water column to feed properly. Those would work better in smaller systems dedicated to their care and unique feeding situation. If you have dwarves in a larger system, it will take substantial amounts of food to reach the appropriate densities. Hope that helps.

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
Thanks for the reply I was contemplating raising seahorses as I have many aquariums LOL probably 10 or so but wanted to find out the basics before I started and want to have them for a while and keep them for a little while I'm not new to aquariums but to seahorses and don't want something to die because I've never kept them so I appreciate it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
I have 3 Yellow Kudas 2 pipefish, 1 boxfish, in a macroalgae tank 90Gal
prolly could put up to 10 horses in there, but live food is an issue

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store