Help ID...urophthalmus or festae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

musica123

Registered Member
Jan 27, 2012
Hi everyone im new to the forms here. I decided to join because the other day, i purchased two new fish that were labeled as "red terror." The guy who caught the fish for me said that he new there were true and false red terrors but be didn't know how to tell the difference. Anyways, I bought them because that particular LFS isn't close by so i wouldn't visit any time soon. They're about 4" right now.

the first one is

here's some pic of the second one

if they do turn out to be urophthalmus, will they go/turn red (obviously not as bright as the festae)? im asking this because all the pics i've seen of urophthalmus were wild caught ones hanging from a fishing line (their color was mostly dark green with only a hint of red). if i raise them will their color turn out better than those pics i've been seeing?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Festae. Notice the black spot at the caudal peduncle? See how it's centered? 100% festae. On a uropthalmus the spot is on the upper half of the peduncle.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Um, SubRosa, I think you have that backwards. Festae have the spot of the upper half and uropthalmus has it centered.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Um, SubRosa, I think you have that backwards. Festae have the spot of the upper half and uropthalmus has it centered.
You are 100% correct.

bomilly

Registered Member
Dec 7, 2009
I see that your thread is old but no one ever ID'd them juvies for ya. They are not Festae.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store