LFS has big show tank with Frontosa and Midas with Africans, anyone try this before?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Humblepie

AC Members
Jan 27, 2012
Local Fish shop here as a big 200+ gal show tank with tons of Malawi cichlids in there. Like 70 or more. Also a few Cyphotalipa Frontosa and even a Midas in there. to round it out there is some full grown plecos and clown loaches. They are freaking HUGE!!!! Shop owner says that's his show tank and doesn't sell from it and has had those fish for a long time. I can believe it. The midas and frontosa are at least 14" long with the rest being around 7" on average. I would like to do something similar with my new tank setup I'm doing. I don't have a 200+ gal, just a 60 gal. I was told if I was going to add a Frontosa or Midas I need to overstock the africans to control their aggression. Which means I won't be doing this as a breeding tank. It is just pure show.

Anyone else have any experience with this and can back up doing this? My GF really likes the bubble headed fish look for some reason so I want to get either the Frontosa, or midas, or a kamfu for the tank.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
what is the demintion of the tank? is it a 55 but taller ( 4 foot by 12 wide by ? high )? if so, i would do malawis or peacocks :)

yss

AC Members
Jan 2, 2012
Northern VA
Real Name
Yun
Yup! Too small for fronts or Midas. You need a six foot tank for large fish like that.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yep at least a 125gal for those type of fish, if she likes the hump head type of fish there are some nice Geophagus species that look nice.. Buffalo heads are cool..

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Fronts,, no way...........I have a standard 125 with 1 m 4 f Mpimbwe fronts ONLY in it and have been debating with myself for 2 years whether or not I had ROOM for a few brichardi.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I agree with everybody here. NO Fronts or Midas, but you can do a nice Malawi mbuna or all male peacock tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store