Can/should I build a refugium inside my 55g (non-display) tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Land

Registered Member
Jan 27, 2012
Long story short, I have a 75g and 55g hooked up to a 20g sump (no, surprisingly they don't overflow if I shut both return pumps off), and neither of the tanks really have anything other than live rock in them at the moment. That part's a long story. But I've been trying to add a refugium to my system for forever.

There's an assortment of things I think would be problematic with most typical solutions (clearance for a hang-on refugium, expensive/too much flow to replace sump with one with a refugium, difficult to plumb a second sump).

So I was thinking: can I empty out the 55g, get a sheet of glass or acrylic, and partition off one side of the tank to use as a refugium? And I guess either drill holes through it so water can pass through, or raise it slightly above the water level and add a pump so water will gravity feed back into the tank.

Not really sure how lighting would work, though. 21" seems kind of deep, and I have a 48" 2x54W T5 fixture that I can change the bulbs in but can't exactly cut in half.

Thanks for any input. Didn't seem like a good idea to rush into this without getting some advice.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Wow, sorry that no one responded to this in so long. I used my 55gallon as a refugium for a while, and it works just fine.

What I did was I used plexiglass that extended all the way to the top, and then cut 1/4" vertical holes where I want the water to start draining. The other baffles would be just as a regular sump's would be, coming up and down for bubble traps. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Iphone pics 040.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store