Hello

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigJohn

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
Hello,

I've been doing this for a few years now, it sadly started with a 10 gal and a seller at a store that convinced me that a harem of Cockatoo apistos with 10 Glowlight tetras. That tank produced fry within a month, and then scared to mess up the extremely tense atmosphere of the tank, I slipped on my bi weekly water change. Lost the cichlids, but I was hooked... I am now a lot poorer than I should be.

I was a slow learner, but I eventually got better. I tried the cichlid thing again a few times after I upgraded to a 15 and then a 20 gal, but it is difficult to achieve success breeding apistos or rams in tiny community tanks. I'm not talking kribs or convicts, bragging about fry of those is like bragging about being toilet trained at age 12. Then I had success with dwarf gourami (sold the fry to the petshop too) and I decided to spoil myself eventually.

For the last 8 months, I've been playing with my new toys: the 15 and 20 have been replaced twin 55 gals, one with Bolivian rams and neon dwarf rainbows, the other with a few angels and a pair of pelv. taeniatus.

My breeding ram pair recently figured out they should not eat the eggs, and they are slowly learning to not eat the fry. I know the rainbows are getting some, but still, it will help when they stop munching on the kids.

And I kept my 20 gal as a cold water tank with white clouds, celestial pearl danios and cherry shrimps.

I am afraid that all my tanks are overstock, but I do weekly 33% water change. I have bolivian rams spawning regularly in one tank, and the tiny taeniatus pair have taken control of the bottom of the other and have been having ceremonial pre-coital seizures for a few days now. I take that as a sign that the water quality is just fine since I am too lazy to test.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store