Usergroup
    AC Members

Dwarf Seahorses in Eclipse 3?

Hi, I kept salt several years back but have only had freshwater lately. I'd like to have a marine tank again, and have wanted seahorses for years.... I have an eclipse 3, it's running fresh right now but I could move the betta in it and I am wondering, would a pair of dwarf seahorses do well in an eclipse 3? Do I have to modify it- ie. More lights for macroalgae or gentler filter current? Is macroalgae necessary for seahorses?

Thanks for your time.
    RIP Poopfish

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Graham
    Last Activity
    09-11-2014 7:54 PM
    That's the right sized tank for them but they are a challenge due to their diet. Also, the small water voume and frequent eating (more poop ) will pollute a small water body in a hurry. If you go with dwarfs I highly recommend that you make your purchase from seahorse source...

http://www.seahorsesource.com/zosterae.html

They are simply the best place for seahorses and are incredibly helpful. Give them a call or shoot them an email. Customer service is excellent!
    SG = 1.024-6; Alkalinity 8.3-9.3 dKH; Calcium 420; Magnesium 1300; Temp = 76 to 80; pH = 7.9-8.3. Alkalinity and calcium are dependent on Mg.

"You can't be half a gangster" - Jimmy Darmody, Boardwalk Empire

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Thanks for the response. I know 3 gallons are small and get polluted easily, but what would we be talking in terms of waterchanges? Is the maintenance realistic?

I think if I decide on the seahorses I will call the LFS where I used to work and see if they can get in captive-bred, that's one important thing I remember from my reading. Last I used them they still gave me wholesale prices and I don't have to pay for shipping.
    RIP Poopfish

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Graham
    Last Activity
    09-11-2014 7:54 PM
    Honestly, I would figure out a way to incorporate at least a 20 gallon sump to the tank where a good skimmer and or refugium or algae turf scrubber could be used. This will increase the water volume (stability/health) of the system and provide much better filtration. If not, your probably looking at water changes every day to other day which increases the risk of instability. My $0.02.
    SG = 1.024-6; Alkalinity 8.3-9.3 dKH; Calcium 420; Magnesium 1300; Temp = 76 to 80; pH = 7.9-8.3. Alkalinity and calcium are dependent on Mg.

"You can't be half a gangster" - Jimmy Darmody, Boardwalk Empire

Thread Information