Dwarf Seahorses in Eclipse 3?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
Hi, I kept salt several years back but have only had freshwater lately. I'd like to have a marine tank again, and have wanted seahorses for years.... I have an eclipse 3, it's running fresh right now but I could move the betta in it and I am wondering, would a pair of dwarf seahorses do well in an eclipse 3? Do I have to modify it- ie. More lights for macroalgae or gentler filter current? Is macroalgae necessary for seahorses?

Thanks for your time.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
That's the right sized tank for them but they are a challenge due to their diet. Also, the small water voume and frequent eating (more poop :)) will pollute a small water body in a hurry. If you go with dwarfs I highly recommend that you make your purchase from seahorse source...

http://www.seahorsesource.com/zosterae.html

They are simply the best place for seahorses and are incredibly helpful. Give them a call or shoot them an email. Customer service is excellent!

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
Thanks for the response. I know 3 gallons are small and get polluted easily, but what would we be talking in terms of waterchanges? Is the maintenance realistic?

I think if I decide on the seahorses I will call the LFS where I used to work and see if they can get in captive-bred, that's one important thing I remember from my reading. Last I used them they still gave me wholesale prices and I don't have to pay for shipping.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Honestly, I would figure out a way to incorporate at least a 20 gallon sump to the tank where a good skimmer and or refugium or algae turf scrubber could be used. This will increase the water volume (stability/health) of the system and provide much better filtration. If not, your probably looking at water changes every day to other day which increases the risk of instability. My $0.02.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store