RNs idea thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Soooooo. My girlfriend tells me she's getting a bit bored of the cichlids. It's a 100 gallon 60x18x20something. So my gears are turning of course, and im thinking of selling a few toys, and getting a large reef ready tank. I'm considering getting a tank that I can use on my current stand, but am starting to branch out some. Considering some 24" wide tanks too.

But what I'd like to do Is have the main large tank a reef tank. Not some crazy packed full of corals tank but nice. Then that would drain into my 100 gallon, which would be fowlr, with mangroves growing out of the back. Then that would drain down to a 55 sump, with an ATS. I know it's may not be ideal, but I'd like to have a lion fish or puffer in the 100. Since I believe they are fairly messy fish. I figure with all the plant activity it should keep the water fairly clean. But Is hooking up two different systems like that doable or am I just asking for problems?

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I had something similar except my main tank drained into a fuge which then drained into a sump and back to the main tank.

personally if I were you I would setup both tanks to drain into the same sump however each with its own return pump. It'll be easier to work on the individual tank while keeping the other one undisturbed while still mixing the same water throughout the two tanks.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Completely agree with Cheech on plumbing. The other option is to by an oversized pump and us a "T" and a valves to bring flow to both tanks.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Yeah that would make more sense. Then the stands could be the same height too. I'll have to drill the 100 regardless, but the new tank will be ready to go. I'll have to look to see what kind of plumbing is done on tanks like these. The tanks offer a 1000 gph overflow and an 1800. Should I just get the bigger one?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Wait maybe I'm confused. Are you drilling the 100 you have and then buying another tank that will be reef ready (drilled)?

Having too large of a drain is rarely ever going to be a problem.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I'm buying a new reef ready tank, if necessary ill drill the 100. I suppose I don't have much choice lol.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
And I guess my thoughts of draining the reef into the fowlr, would be the mangroves could use up those nutrients, and then down to the sump. I guess plumbing would be a pain for that though.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I'm trying to figure out what size tank I want to go with. Im seriously thinking 180, but it seems so large. But I'd like the ability to keep tangs at some point, so that's why I'm thinking 6 ft. But I'd also like the 2 ft depth to the tank, which leads me to the 180 of course. I'm definitely going to find a reef ready tank though. So basically my two top options right now are a 180, a 150 60x24x24, or a 125 if I want to compromise on depth. Is there anything that i would keep in a 180 that I couldnt do in a 125, regarding common reef fishes, tangs etc. thanks

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
IMO if you can swing the 180 do it, other then when stocking it or moving it your unlikely to say I wish my tank was smaller. As far as stuff you can keep in a 180 and not a 120, some species of the following need bigger then 120 Angels, Triggers, Butterflys, Rays, Tangs, eels, rays.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Well I plan on having a copper banded butterfly at some point, besides that I'm fairly open. I'd like to eventually have some tangs. Triggers are awesome but I think most arent reef safe. I've been trying to find reef ready tanks around here and there isn't much. But the though of having a 180-100-55 system setup makes water changes sound expensive. But you have to pay to play I guess lol

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store