Bristlenose Albino Pleco will not stop having babies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bsteinel

AC Members
Feb 2, 2012
So I got two albino suckerfish and one black spotted, and they somehow had babies. I have a little cave and the male just chills in there. And there has to be like 75 of these things. The black one dissapeared... Like 80% of the babies are albino, some are black, and some have golden spots. Some are so little you can barely see them and some are up to an inch and a half. But all of these in a 10 gallon tank...Do local fish stores buy these things?? What can I do with them. If I get another tank should I move the bigger ones in there? I just don't know what to do, do they stay fertile? Like why do they just keep having babies lol. Thanks for the advice. I am confused and just had a tank for fun but i am just shocked this happened lol.

Last edited:

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Some stores will take them, but they may not, you just have to ask the employees and mgmt. You can sell them on your local craigslist site, you can advertise here or on aquabid.com if you want to sell them, and can either have people pick them up or if you want, you can ship them.

Yes, they stay fertile and will keep breeding. They will breed as much as water conditions allow them to. If you want to breed them, I would move them to a bigger tank, simply because it would be more room for the babies and the adults. If you don't want to breed them, you can separate them, which is the only way to get them to stop.

Maribeth

bsteinel

AC Members
Feb 2, 2012
I mean it is pretty interesting so if I get a new tank you think I should relocate the cave and the male and female to the new tank? thanks

GuppyGirl1230

Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
I would definitely move them into something a bit larger, 20-40 gallons especially if you want to keep them breeding! :) It is very awesome to see little babies in the tank.

I would get a new cave for them/make a new cave for them-however you want to do it and leave the 10 gallon for bigger babies. That way your adult tank does not get too crowded and you have a grow-out tank for the small babies.

This is just my opinion, and I know that getting all new equipment is expensive. I would love to see pics though!

Maribeth

bsteinel

AC Members
Feb 2, 2012
This is one of the spotted gold ones and a few trolling in the background. thats the cave and the male guarding it too.

IMG_9152.jpg

GuppyGirl1230

Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
They look fantastic!! Great job with them btw, they must be very happy and healthy to breed so much. :)

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Yep, the ONLY way to keep them from breeding is to separate them. I have a male and a female red ancistrus BN, and I keep them in separate tanks UNTIL I want them to breed. Which is as soon as the previous batch of fry are gone. I start with Craigslist, and most of them go that way, but if they don't I will advertise them on the boards. So if you do not want a gazillion babies, you had better keep them apart. It only takes mine about a week to spawn once they are back together in their 46 gal home. Good luck.

bsteinel

AC Members
Feb 2, 2012
How much did you guys sell yours for on craigslist? I don't know a proper/fair price. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store