Problems with water changer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
It's probably obvious how to fix this but not to me.

I have a Lee's water changer and it sprays water everywhere at the super pump part of the water changer (the blue thing that attaches to the faucet). No matter how much I tighten it. I also used plumbing tape for a tight fit. So my "solution" has been to tie a rag around it so it drips instead of spraying. So yes, that works but this problem is annoying and I like things that I pay for to work properly.

The other problem is that there's a leak at one of the couplers (or maybe it was one of the valves). It's not a huge leak, but again, it's annoying. I know the hose can start to slip out of the coupler but I make sure it's tight and in place yet it still happens.

Any advice on how to fix this stuff? Thank you.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If the washer is present, try tightening the piece which screws onto the faucet further into the rest of the unit.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Is there a rubber washer inside where the changer attaches to the faucet?
Yes.

If the washer is present, try tightening the piece which screws onto the faucet further into the rest of the unit.
I already did but it doesn't make any difference.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
It's not dry though, it even did this when it was brand new and the washer is flexible and fine.

tomany

AC Members
Nov 23, 2009
Hartford, Al
Look for cracks in the pieces you use to tighten up. I went trough 2 of the blue things. Mine is now coiled up in a cabinet some where. I've read reviews on the Lee's that this problen is not uncommon. Wish I had read them before I purchased.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
It's not dry though, it even did this when it was brand new and the washer is flexible and fine.
hmmm... maybe a solution with less chances for failure is in order then?

this is what i use...

i've modified it to work with different height tanks and so i can cut the flow off when the tank is full without having to run to the faucet...

i put a coupler on my shower head to attach it to for fast refills with matched temps...

i match the temp, then turn the shower on and i'm set.

the contraption;
1) keeps the water from stirring up the substrate
2) keeps smaller critters from going down the drain during w/c's
3) works with a garden hose to provide a larger diameter hose and thus faster w/c's by about 50%
4) costs less than a "w/c system" to make
5) is very sturdy and will last nearly forever
6) allows me to fill and drain hands free
7) allows me to fill a tank while i'm siphoning and/or gravel vac'ing with another $5 20' vinyl hose allowing me to siphon straight through without a break until the tank is sufficiently cleaned

if you're interested, i'd be happy to make one for you. i'd ask only for the price of materials and shipping. i'd just have to get some details from you about your tanks to put a quote together. pm me if you're interested.

here's a thread over on TPT about this contraption if you're undecided... http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/161305-diy-solution-faster-water-changes.html

Tkdjr1186

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
hmmm... maybe a solution with less chances for failure is in order then?

this is what i use...

i've modified it to work with different height tanks and so i can cut the flow off when the tank is full without having to run to the faucet...

i put a coupler on my shower head to attach it to for fast refills with matched temps...

i match the temp, then turn the shower on and i'm set.

the contraption;
1) keeps the water from stirring up the substrate
2) keeps smaller critters from going down the drain during w/c's
3) works with a garden hose to provide a larger diameter hose and thus faster w/c's by about 50%
4) costs less than a "w/c system" to make
5) is very sturdy and will last nearly forever
6) allows me to fill and drain hands free
7) allows me to fill a tank while i'm siphoning and/or gravel vac'ing with another $5 20' vinyl hose allowing me to siphon straight through without a break until the tank is sufficiently cleaned

if you're interested, i'd be happy to make one for you. i'd ask only for the price of materials and shipping. i'd just have to get some details from you about your tanks to put a quote together. pm me if you're interested.

here's a thread over on TPT about this contraption if you're undecided... http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/161305-diy-solution-faster-water-changes.html
I would be interested in on of these as my aqueon has quit siphoning for some reason. I have a 65 gallon tall and 29 gallon high. Pm me if you wish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
If your Aqueon has quit siphoning check to make sure it hasn't sucked up some debris and the pump is clogged.

You can unscrew the valve part at the bottom of the pump from the venturi at the top and get a look inside. Also remove the tubing and look in from that angle to.

For the Lee's changer that the OP is having problems with. There is a small black rubber O ring between the venturi needle and the main housing. It may be broken or missing. If you look down from the top you will see a hexagonal shaped indent in the top of the pump. Stick your thumb or something that fits the shape in there and turn that part counter clockwise while holding the pump body still to separate them. Once you separate the venturi funnel from the pump the O ring should be on the needle part. If you replace that needle O ring it should stop your leaking.

To stop the leak at the tubing, remove the tubing and cut the expanded flared end of the tubing off and then reattach. As the tubing stretches and ages it will develop a "memory" shape and it may leak.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store