I Hate Small tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

archaic37

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
I have had a 2 gallon tank for about 8 months now with RCS and plants in it. Marina i25 filter, 10W water heater 6 day water changes, fluval shrimp stratum. But in the end none of this has stabilized the water parameters Ph literally will drop2-3 points over nite and I wake up to dead RCS. So frustrating:wall:. I think just the small tank is the reason anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the parameters in check or even what other fish could go in there?

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I do frequent water changes to keep things in check, that's really the only suggestion I have for you. It is definitely more difficult to keep params in check in the smaller tanks.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Sorry to hear that :( always a bummer. What are you running for filtration? Perhaps adding an extra sponge filter may help?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
What kind of substrate/decorations do you have in there? It sounds to me like you have something in there altering your Ph if it's changing so rapidly...

archaic37

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
2 marimo balls, a 3"x3" patch of wisteria probably 4" tall, Fluval Shrimp stratum. That is all.

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
I know that when the lights go off and the plants stop photosynthesizing it can alter the water parameters. one of the challenges with smaller tanks I suppose. I have not added any livestock, just the snails that hitched in on plants into my small shrimp tank. I leave the light on 24 hours a day hoping to increase the algae growth for when I do add shrimp. I have not noticed any changes in my water chemistry, with the exception of when I let it go 2 weeks without changing the water.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Fluval Stratum is designed to lower pH just like ADA Aqua Soil...certain shrimp prefer lower pH and need it to breed, but red cherry shrimp aren't one of them. I would add maybe a piece of coral or limestone to try and balance it out, you could also buffer your water change water with a little baking soda. What's your tap water's pH and alkalinity readings?

archaic37

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Fluval Stratum is designed to lower pH just like ADA Aqua Soil...certain shrimp prefer lower pH and need it to breed, but red cherry shrimp aren't one of them. I would add maybe a piece of coral or limestone to try and balance it out, you could also buffer your water change water with a little baking soda. What's your tap water's pH and alkalinity readings?
I do not know what my tap water Ph is. I was originally taking tap water and conditioning it and let it sit for a long period before adding and that seemed to do really affect the shrimp. I now am using filtered water from a Pur water filter pitcher and that helped. I just ran out of test strips I need to get a liquid test kit ASAP.
I will go to my local salt water lfs and pick up a handful of it. I will try to put it in a bag in my filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store