Would this be a good jar for shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

markus789456

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucester city, NJ
I picked up a 4 liter jar today from a kitchen store going out of business, I managed to grab it for about 2 dollars. I was wondering if it would be ok to house some of my RCS in it? I also have an anacharis in it from my main tank to help cycle it. Also I do keep the lid off. Would I need to put in a sponge filter or would the plant be enough to filter the water?

fido_clear_top_jar_137_182lar.jpg

fido_clear_top_jar_137_182lar.jpg

ksterling

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Real Name
Kristin
i have a small jar with a rhizome of jfern in it and some pre-cycled sand. it contains 3 smalllll fish fry that i rescued from work. i do half jar water changes daily, and refill it with a 2 gallon spring water jug room temp, i use a syringe to siphon out any leftover food. the only thing i notice is the water is very still, and i imagine if you neglected it for more than a day or two it would be borderline stagnant, and water perams could get out of line extremely fast. also, you need a light for the plant, i have mine sitting next to my finnex so it gets light from that.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I guess it would be doable, though very high maintenance for no real reason. I wouldn't recommend it, certainly. Agree it's better to use a real tank setup... even a small one.

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
I currently have a 1.8 gallon dirted bowl with a bunch of dwarf sag, some moss, and a bit of duckweed, that sits in the window and gets no water changes and very little food. The Rili shrimp in it are not only thriving, but breeding. Set it up correctly, let it grow some algae/micro-organisms, and then stock lightly. Google search "walstad bowl" for more info. Here are a few pics.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store