Woohoo! Berried CPO!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I was worried it was never going to happen since my female spent all of her time up in the "floating jungle" of my 20L and the males spent all their time on the substrate. But this morning, my girl is crawling around the substrate with a boatload of eggs under her tail! I tried to get some pics, but she's afraid of the camera. I'll keep trying though. Wish me luck that she carries them to term!

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
congrats! let me know if you want to send a few of the fry when they come to sise:)

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Right now just focused on her actually hatching them. She's a pretty skittish girl so just hoping she doesnt drop them. Once they're of size I'll start thinking about selling them. I have a few people already who have called dibs on some.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
She's been in her bamboo tube for the last 8 hours. I tried to entice her out with food, but she only got as far as getting her claws out to snag a piece. I'll keep trying though lol.

SpruceGruve

Snail
Jul 17, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Real Name
Steve
congrats.

if you have a extra 5 gallon tank lying around i would put the berried female in there.

i was breeding these guys for little while and i got the most babys when i separated the parents, they will eat their own babys
but you will get some hatched out in your main tank,you will just get about 50% less,those parents are mean

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Finally snuck a picture when she came out of the cave to forage after I turned the light off. Not a very good one, but it was really dark in the room and my camera couldnt see what to focus on. I had to manually focus it and even then it was difficult.

Berried CPO.jpg

Unfortunately the only spare 5g I have right now is to be used for my nephews bday present. I have lots of hiding places in that tank and am planning on adding a few more pieces of cholla wood and another cave or two before they hatch. If I dont have good success with this batch, then by the next one I will set up and cycle a tank for the babies. I just dont have a whole lot more room for tanks right now and am not breeding these for money. I just got them because they're so cute :D

Berried CPO.jpg

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I got to see her again today! She finally came out of her cave...for all of 30 seconds. The eggs have turned from an olive green to orange. She's protecting them well. I added 2 more 6" pieces of cholla wood to the tank for added hiding places. I'm looking to get another couple bamboo caves since they like them so much.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Ordered 8 more 4" long pieces of charcoal bamboo! Probably wont make it here before they hatch, but at least they'll be there when they get a bit bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store