aquatic/semi aquatic plant suggestions for viv

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

titansfever83

AC Members
Oct 8, 2007
AL
I'm in the middle stages of my vivarium build and I'm starting to look towards getting plants very soon. My viv will have a fairly large water area but will only be around 6" deep and 2" of that will be substrate.

What are some fairly easy to grow plants that won't be too much of a nuisance. Any aquatic or semi aquatic plants, I plan on having some of each(no semi aquatics that get huge or can't handle pruning). BTW, my lighting is 192w total(T5 24") on a 56gal column aquarium. The lighting will be on timers to mimic daylight, meaning, I will have 2 bulbs come on first, then 4, then 6, then 8(noon time), then going off towards night time.

I don't plan on using ferts or injection because I would really like to keep a few FW shrimp in it. I have read that ferts and shrimp don't really do well together??? not sure really, just read it somewhere.

Anyway...... plant suggestions?;)

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
Honestly most aquarium plants have an emersed form I personally had the best luck growing crypts and some stem plants emersed, hc also did well but I have never had luck growing anubias emersed

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
most commercially grown anubias are grown emersed... I've had most I've used that way do well, but they need a lot of misting at first to avoid drying out. HC is great with high light, but moss will overtake it quickly if the light is too low. liverworts and riccardia are awesome choices, as well as many smaller ferns and mosses. I'd do everything in my power to avoid java moss, in favor of christmas moss and other mosses that don't spread as fast and stringy. I have a list of plants I used in my most recent tank over at http://mellowvision.com/2011/06/12/the-plants-in-my-45-gallon-paludarium-project/ most of which did pretty well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store