What is everyone's opinion on the marineland magnum 350 canister filter ???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bed12381

Registered Member
Jan 31, 2012
Putting it in a 44 gallon pentagon aquarium....

Sent from my X500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd opt for the HOT Magnum 250 for a tank that size/shape.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I like the filter actually, but there's very little room for media compared to others. The plastic is also brittle enough to crack easily too so I wouldn't depend on it long-term.

The HOT model works great as a gravel washer though.

hadesnuggz

AC Members
Jun 18, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
It doesn't clog easily? You just have to keep maintenence. ^^ I've had the Mag350 with Biowheel, and its an awesome, powerful filter. Many people that have negative comments simply havent had one. Sure, there are better filters, but its nice. If you have it set up with the biowheel, it does awesome mechanical filtration, and has brilliant water polishing capabilities! The plastic will be fine if you are not a clutz with it.

You will want to keep an extra smaller filter with biocubes or something in it to help with biological filtration, and maybe a biowheel setup for the magnum350. They do have the mag350/biowheel combo I believe. And it's pretty friggin quiet for how powerful it is.

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
The tank it was on got bad within a week.

There were times when there was hardly any flow coming out of it since it clogged up.

The biggest issues I had with this filter are:

1. Clogged consistantly (I may be the only person but it got really bad and stopped any flow into my tank)
2. Hard to clean - always had one latch that couldn't close
3. Couldn't use multiple medias - I like to use peat granular in addition to carbon.

The fluval filters have worked great and are much easier to maintain, IMO.

When it did work properly it was good, no denying that.
I just had to shell out another $130 to get a new filter within a year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store