Brine Shrimp, Tubifex Worms, Blood Worms etc...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
I usually feed my fish New Life Spectrum small pellet formula, have to pick up some more, haven't used it in a while, blowing through some flake food first. I hear that it is the best to bring out a fish's most vibrant colors and it seemed good. Any thoughts?

However, I used to supplement their diet with freeze dried Hikari Bloodworms and Brine Shrimp...

Today I decided to buy some frozen San Francisco Bay Brine Shrimp. I had always gone freeze dried in the past though, because I thought the frozen stuff would be a pain.

I'm wondering what is better for the fish and yield's the best results as far as nutrition/fish growth/coloration etc etc etc and what do you think of these brands? Are there better name brands out there? How do these compare?

I'd love to do some live foods, but that seems unlikely, since I'm not going to set up a tank for Brine Shrimp. I've never seen the worms or shrimp sold live either.

Also - is the Spectrum pellet formula a top notch food for regular feedings?

Thoughts?

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Ive seen brine shrimp and Blood and Black worms for sale. While the Brine shrimp I dont find issue with. Live worms Like Blood and black worms I do as parasites can become an issue. So I always prefer to buy frozen blood worms and brine shrimp and they last a long time.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
You can't go wrong with NLS, I use it for all my fish. I do use many other things, tho, including froz blood worms, froz shrimp, froz krill, froz tubiflex worms, flakes, fresh veggies, etc. I aim for a little variety. I tried live black worms, but the fish were not crazy about them, and for the care involved of the worms, just not worth it for me. I am now trying some Repashy. Good luck.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I have used a few freeze dried foods. For me, they were not as hungrily accepted as the frozen. Just my experience. Good luck.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I think that they are similar in nutrition, but fish prefer the frozen varieties. I use both frozen and freeze dried bloodworms as treats for my fish. They like freeze dried, but they really pig out on the frozen!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store