Clean your aquariums, Will I have to clean my rocks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

everglow

AC Members
Mar 15, 2004
Pineapple Under the Sea
Visit site
well every time I change out my water I take generally more than half of the water out, and I always hate pooring freshwater back in and seeing little bits and particles even some fish poop floating around I try to get it out but it's hard whats the best way to clean a tank with this going on? I like have a squeaky clean home for my betta.

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Get a gravel vacuum from the fish store. This will help suck up bits when you take water out. And pour the water in more slowly when you add it back. This will help cut down a lot. But squeaky clean isn't a good thing for tanks. The bacteria needs some food.

everglow

AC Members
Mar 15, 2004
Pineapple Under the Sea
Visit site
Originally posted by TKOS
Get a gravel vacuum from the fish store. This will help suck up bits when you take water out. And pour the water in more slowly when you add it back. This will help cut down a lot. But squeaky clean isn't a good thing for tanks. The bacteria needs some food.
I know the tank needs bacteria I just don't like my fish swimmin in his crap, you know what I mean. Since I am going to have a snail in ny tank soon will he be okay when cleaning or should I try to pull him off the side of the aquarium and put him in some water when I'm putting in new water? How much water can be in the tank when using the gravel vacuum?

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
The gravel vacuum is a siphon hose. So you use it to pull the old tank water out while also pulling a lot of crap fromt he gravel out as well.

The snail will be fine during the water change even it it goes out of the water. They can really hold on for dear life.

As for floating stuff, that is often just the way it goes. I wouldn't worry too much, it settles down in a couple of hours. But the less of it the less there will be to float around.

If you don't want the gravel vac then I suggest actually stirring the gravel a bit prior to the water change. Then when the crap is floating around you will be able to scoop it out.

ChiefXP

AC Members
Feb 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
is the hole in the hood? and would this be temple of doom or last crusade?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Get the smallest vaccum you can find, so you'll have access to all parts of the aquarium. These work by establishing a siphon, so the water is pulled out of the tank and into a bucket or sink that's lower than the level of water in the tank. By running the vaccum through the gravel, loose debris and water is removed from the tank. A line of large clear tubing will work equally as well. You can control the flow rate by closing off a portion of the end outside the aquarium--but it takes practice not to result in a nifty spray.

Snails are not prone to escaping. Apple snails will make forays above the water line, but seldom stay long, and I've never had one leave the tank completely. It is important that they can get to the water surface, since they are air breathers. They have a small tube, called a siphon, that they stick up to get rid of the used air and take in fresh. Mine have the habit of pumping thier shells at the same time--they look rather goofy. ;)

everglow

AC Members
Mar 15, 2004
Pineapple Under the Sea
Visit site
Originally posted by OrionGirl
Snails are not prone to escaping. Apple snails will make forays above the water line, but seldom stay long, and I've never had one leave the tank completely. It is important that they can get to the water surface, since they are air breathers. They have a small tube, called a siphon, that they stick up to get rid of the used air and take in fresh. Mine have the habit of pumping thier shells at the same time--they look rather goofy. ;)
Ogirly they be fine on their own just climbing up the sides of the tank wouldn't they?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store