low light corals

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skaven

AC Members
Jul 22, 2007
Orangevale, CA
Gearing up for my undergraduate study and wanted to ask if anyone here had any experience with low light deep water stony corals. Primarily the study is to create a re-population program for over-harvested coral populations through modern coral farming techniques. I would be most interested in commonly available slow growing stony coral stand-ins for testing.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
How deep?

Goniastrea, Favites, Acanthastrea, Scolymia, Echinophyllia, Mycedium, Leptastrea, Cyphastrea, Lobophyllia, Wellsophyllia / Trachyphyllia, Simphyllia, Platygyra, Blastomussa, Micromussa are all popular, low light Large Polyp Stoney corals.

Are we talking aquaculture or mariculture?

Last edited:

Skaven

AC Members
Jul 22, 2007
Orangevale, CA
50-300m depth, aquaculture of members of the Corallium family are my final objective.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
50-300m depth, aquaculture of members of the Corallium family are my final objective.
So you're looking closer to non-photosynthetic/azooxanthellate corals? Plenty available, but the care is entirely different from the usual species offered--C. rubrum is no exception. Light is practically irrelevant to them in captivity and they rely exclusively on exceptionally heavy, frequent feedings. Water flow requirements are also diiferent. You may want to look into others' systems which house similar corals and are successful with them. I'd help more, but I have extremely limited experience with azooxanthellate corals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store