Need assistance setting up Discus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
hey all...long time no talk.

I"m trying to turn my 135 gallon tank into a discus tank. I can't plant as the lighting isn't high enough, so i was thinking of going more natural like, so driftwood and rock with a sandy bottom.

Would that be of trouble to the discus? I would like to plant like java moss on some of the wood near the surface (i have the color temp, just not enough wattage/lumens).

thoughts, suggestions, help, etc is appreciated

Thanks!

Mike

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
If you haven't already read it, Mike, it could help you to have a read of my Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus, located here as a Sticky in this section.
What you're planning to do with your tank to start with, will be just fine for discus. It'll give them lots of swimming space, and allow you to maintain very easy & good tank cleansing & maintenance routines, as well quality water conditions for the discus.
Best of luck to you, and don't hesitate to PM if you have any questions or if I can be of any help to you in getting set up.

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for the reply Paul. I actually just finished reading your guide and things are a bit clearer now. I've tried to raise two fry in the past, bought them at just less than an inch. But a algae eater for too aggressive with them. Il surely ask here or pm you if I run into more problems ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
You might consider java moss. It will attach to the logs and will grow in low light. Be careful putting too much light over your discus as sometimes they can be skittish under bright conditions.

Mark

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Right now I have less than 90 watts over 130ish gallons lol. I'm going to hopefully replace that with a t5ho setup an make a little more power. Or put another set of no t5 in there haven't decided which yet. I've tried to grow with the output I have to no avail!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I like the wood! Java moss, java fern & anubias, if attached high up on tha wood should be ok as long as you aren't hung up on the "biotope" SA thing. There are almost no plants in a "real discus" habitat but I like at least a few no matter. Will you grow out juveniles or go with adults?

As a former east coaster, you might want to join http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forum.php. It was fun to get together with some more knowledgable (hardcore, lol) discus people. It's only 4 times a year & Al is very nice, as are many NEDA folks, I miss them even though I only knew them for a year or so. Tell them Nancy sent you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store