Please help me with my sick Moors and Mollies.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

netty

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2012
Hello fellow fish people,

My name is Netty, and I am writing you today (Jan, 9th, 2012) to see if anyone has any opinions on how to help me with my sick fish.
About 2 weeks ago, I cleaned my fish's tank. I am very particular about my fish. Most of them I have won at carnivals, but the ones that are sick were ones I bought from a pet store. They are all over 2 years old. I have a big black Moor and a medium sized calico moor, along with two black mollies. They have always been healthy, and I did not do ANYTHING DIFFERENT, or out of the ordinary when I cleaned their tank.
The day after I cleaned their tank, I added a small pleco, then the day after that the pleco was dead. Then the following day my moors were sinking to the bottom of the tank and were hiding under/in their tunnel. Finally, on the third day of them acting like this, I noticed that my large black moor had ick.
I assumed that it was introduced by the pleco however, I have another tank and I also bought a pleco for that tank and put it in that tank on the same day as the other (now dead) pleco was introduced to the other tank.... and he/she and the rest of the fish in the other tank are doing fine.
What I have come to as a conclusion for the sickness of my moors and mollies is that I must have stressed them out while performing their tank cleaning.
Anyway, once I gave them the ick meds, they seemed to come back to life, and have lost their ick spots. However, the large black moor still has some (I'm guessing) scars left from the ick. It looks as though he has white scars on the end of his tail that look like ick, but more like weakened parts of his tail that now have holes or perforations in it.
After I got rid of the ick, the black moor then developed some fungus on his head, and the other calico moor now has some red marks on/under it's skin that look like (not raised) blood blisters.
I have done EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF to help these fish.
I have sterilized their tank and all the stuff in it... I even bought new gravel.
I have added ick meds, fungus meds, parasite meds, all in one meds, melafix, check the ammonia and nitrate level and have treated accordingly. I've also treated with quick cure, start right slime coat additives, I've used clear water , water conditioning, and have used Nutrafin Cycle Biological Aquarium supplement.... and I have been doing (every 3 to 4 day 25% water changes - using treated water that I let sit with the cap off for 3 plus days. I have also raised the salt content of the water (using aquarium salt) from 1 rounded tbl.spn per 5 gallons - up to - 2 rounded tbl.spn per 5 gallons..... PLUS, I have also raised the temp in the tank to the top of the “certified okay green zone” on the thermometer stick from where it had been (which was right in the middle of the “normal -or- okay” green zone section ...... I have cut back on their food, and have added some cooked peas to help with constipation.
I have even gone as far as physically picking my black moor up, and gently wiping the fungus with Povidone-lodine wipes. And almost immediately after doing this, the fungus seemed to go away, but left a “red” mark in it’s place..... The red mark was either from the color of the iodine or from the underlying wound (or raw spot) that had previously laid under the fungus. It didn’t seem to go away once re-entering the water..... so that lead me to believe the red mark was not the color of the iodine, but a red raw spot on the moors head that was there before I started the gentle wiping and was just uncovered by the removal of the fungus.
Now......After all that......and after adding the second dose of the fungus treatment........ My black moor has seemed to develop MORE FUNGUS, AND IT IS SPREADING FROM HIS HEAD, DOWN THE TOP OF HIS BODY?????????????????????
Obviously my fish are VERY STRONG, AND HAVE A WILL TO LIVE THAT FAR EXCEEDS MOST HUMANS..... but I am very worried that I may lose them. I know that they are only fish, but I have raised them from “minnow size” to now being over 3 inches (for the mollies) and 5 inches (for the moors) and they have now become pets that I care about as much as I would a dog.
I am at the end of my rope........ I am not even sure that I have listed all that I have done to be perfectly honest.
PLEASE........IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE, PLEASE TELL ME A.S.A.P.
Thank-you for your time.
-Netty-

P.S. ---- I also removed the carbon from the filter while I was using these treatments, but I had to add it back yesterday just due to the water quality and my own personal paranoia of there being chlorine and/or hard metals......... I also went out and bought both tanks new (and much better) heaters and thermometers just out of fear that the temp could have been the culprit ........ I am totally at a lose, and at the end of my rope..... PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!! IT IS NOW 12:09 PM ON THURSDAY JAN. 9th, 2012......
If possible, please email me back TODAY with some helpful answers.... I don’t know how much longer my fish can last?!

netty

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2012
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST, AND LET ME KNOW WHAT TO DO.... OR NOT TO DO.
tHaNks,
-Netty-

CerenaDaft

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
www.youtube.com
How big is the tank and what filtration do you have for it?
I have never had something like this, so I don't know how much help I can give you, but it might just be their time. :(

For future reference, not being rude, try putting tank specifications and such at the beginning and then state the problem and the ways you have tried to fix it. Preferably with more separation between the categories. If not it's just an eye jumbling mess. :)

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
You really seem at the end of your rope about this. I know that it is hard to do when your fish are sick, but try to keep calm and give us some more information.

1. Size of tank
2. Water chemistry readings
3. Filtration
4. Current temp of tank

If you have pictures of the moor, that would probably help some of the fishy folks on here to try to figure out what is wrong with your finny friends. It sounds as if you have used a lot of "cures" trying to help the fish, and none has been successful. You don't say how far apart you have tried the cures, but it is possible that you may be dealing with some kind of interaction if these have all been mixed together. For example, plecos do well with some medications, but not with others, from what I have read.

When you say "cleaned" your tank, what do you mean? If you have removed beneficial bacteria from the tank, it is quite possible that the water parameters are unhealthy and you are having some kind of spike ( not clear without water chemistry information) as your tank goes through the cycling process again.

Hang in there and fill us in. Hopefully someone here will be able to piece the information together and help you out.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Nettie, I asked one of our Moderators to move this post to the coldwater illness section so that it will get a little more attention. Welcome to AC, by the way!

netty

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2012
My sick moors and mollies

:goldfish:
Thanks for the replies guys... I will get all of those dimensions and filter specs for you in a few hours... it is 7:30 am now, and I just spent 8 hours online and on the phone with Best Buys Geek Squad so that they could do a remote connect to my computer and fix its jumbliness and its performance. Just before we were done with the whole tune up, we lost our connections (this was around 4:30 am) and I spent the next (almost) 3 hours on the phone and on the computer trying to reconnect with Geek Squad so that they could finish the job they started and the job that I have already paid for..... Needless to say (but I will any) I am very tired and I had to tell Best Buy that they had better have their **** together when I call back at 2 pm this afternoon after I have slept.... or there will be hell to pay!!!
I do not mind when things go wrong..... that's life.... but to leave a customer stranded with a computer that is now WORSE OFF THAN IT WAS WHEN THEY HAD STARTED TO TUNE IT UP in the first place, PLUS, they left me without calling me back or trying to do another remote connection and I struggled to get in touch with them for an addition 3 hours after the fact..... when then that is what makes me mad..... and tired...
But, anyway before I continue to go off about Best Buy..... I will just say that I will measure everything up and get the products names and dimensions as soon as possible..... If you read this and you can think off ANY KIND OF STATISTIC I should be looking for, or measurement I should be measuring.... Please, make a list of it, and I will report back to the site and see if anyone left anything for me to get...
Thanks again to all of you who have responded.... I really appreciate it!

P.S. If I can figure out how to take a pic and download it to my computer I will definately show you what I am dealing with.... thanks for the idea. ttyl

~Netty~

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Sheesh! You have really had a time of it with the computers!

I think the main issues would be NitrIte levels, NitrAte levels, ammonia and PH as well as temperature and gallon size. It would also be helpful to know what is currently in the water in terms of meds. Pictures would be very helpful. If you have something white spreading in patches, you could be right, it could be a fungus, or it could be columnaris, depending on what it looks like. Keep us posted. I will keep an eye on this thread, and hopefully others with more experience will, too.

With goldies, high filtration levels can be very helpful in maintaining water quality, but I'm sure that you know that. On my two large goldie tanks (around 60 gallons each), I run triple the recommended level of filtration and rarely have trouble with water parameters.

Take a nap, though! It sounds like with all that you have been through, you deserve it!! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store