my mistake......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pnels2

AC Members
Feb 10, 2012
So I made a mistake the other day. I was at my local Walmart and there was this very cool looking fish. It looked like a puffer fish but it was in fresh water. I have a fresh water tank and I thought well maybe I should ask some questions about this fish....and ask I did. The guy in the department said he didnt know the first thing about the fish and he couldnt find the name or price and so I could buy it for .45 cents. Im like ok sold! I take the weird little fish home and throw him in my tank (yes, yes I know that that was a BIG mistake now) and everyone is getting along fine. I go to work and do some research online about the fish I had bought. I google green fresh water puffer fish. I discovered the fish was a green spotted puffer fish and it was not a fresh water fish at all.......and they eat snails. I have two snails that I am crazy about and so this info just ruined my day. I couldnt leave work so I had to spend 7 hours wondering if my snails were ok. I got home and ran into my bedroom just in time to see the puffer take a bite of my snails foot! I was horrified. I had another tank set up with nothing in it and put the little angry snail eating fish in it. I gave the snail eater to my sister who knows about salt water fish care and the like. So my snail is ok...but I am left wondering......will he be OK in a few days? Does anyone know if a bit foot can kill a snail? He is moving around just fine, but I am still scard for the little guy. There is a small peice of his foot missing! So I would love to hear what everyone thinks....I kno I kno I was stupid for putting that fish in the tank without knowing what it was. I was more interested in comments about injured snails. :confused:

Pamela

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yep should be fine, I've had a couple that had a bite taken out of them. IIRC Green spotted start out fresh or very light brackish and as they grow need more and more salt.

pnels2

AC Members
Feb 10, 2012
Yhanks so much for your input both of you! I feel much better knowing my snail will be ok :)

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
ugh...the things one sees at wally world...one time i saw a tank with about 10 "dragon fish" (dragon gobys) about 4 of them dead all trying to cram under one piece of slate...they were depressing.

pnels2

AC Members
Feb 10, 2012
OMG they had like 8 of the Dragon fish in another tank when I bought the green spotted puffer and there was NOTHING in the tank for them to hide under. They were just out there in plain sight. I honestly feel there should be some kind of regulations about Walmart selling fish and what kind. I guess I can see them selling goldfish but even then I'm not sure. Its sad for the fish :( depressing indeed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store