New to Betta Splendins!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

couchy

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
yep last week i got a male and female betta splendins and they are stunning

im new to this so help meeee please there both in a planted aquarium with heater around 24C and its a 30l tank i know either of them them got to go in another tank but for now they seem ok, i also mayb thinking about breeding but for now can you answer my questions please

1. What colour type name are they Male and Female
2. what are the proper water conditions for them i know thier hardy fish but whats the best thing to do to keep them vibrant and healthy
3. what the cheap/prefferred food to feed them
4. how do you know when the males bubblenest is complete and when the female is full of eggs, (time estimations)

and any other information you want to add the more it is to me the better

here are the pix of my pair

f betta.jpg f betta1.jpg m betta.jpg m betta1.jpg m betta2.jpg m betta3.jpg

talian

AC Members
Feb 9, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Okay not the expert here or anything but the female looks to be Cambodia veiltail or crowntail, hard to tell but I can see some thining at the end of the tailfins, course a bit of tail and fin rot can duplicate that, the boy is veil tail as well, don't know if blue has a special name or not. Bettas can eat blood worms as well as betta pellets, some prefer just one or the other but it is best to try and get them to eat both for balance. 24C is a decent temp for them, mine here are usually between 26 and 28C. A fully grown betta usually required 10 gallons of space for themselves, so a 30 for two is very good, if you don't want to separate them you can always put a divider into the tank and they would live perfectly happy as well.

Don't forget your aquarium salt, stuff to help their stress coat and keep an eye on ammonia and other tank conditions but in a planted tank those things are usually good at leveling themselves out. Bettas are social fish, they like when you talk to them, they like when you interact with them. Even in my filtered planted tank which has to be close to a 25 gallon with 1 betta I do tank changes, 1/3 for every 3 days, my 10 gallon gets the same and my 3 gallon is done every day, all three have plants but the 3 gallon is an under gravel filter where the other two have whisper filters, her tank water always comes from the 25 gallon just to ensure it is always perfect for her as she is so small.

couchy

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
ooo thank you :) good info;)

talian

AC Members
Feb 9, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I do have 3 babies here, but like I said I am no where near an expert, I have been in bettas less then a year but I research alot for them, I watch them and see what it is they interact the most with, where they are comfortable enough to sleep and I talk with my guys often. These guys can really be your best friends, great entertainment and biggest worry, where I use to wake up and check on my kids now I do it with my fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store