any idea what species this is?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
iv looked there. there's so many though and not all the pictures can be trusted. not that the pics are of the wrong fish but that the pics might not be the best quality.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
My first guess was L181 or L183, but it could also be a L128.
The problem for all L number fish is they have an L number because they have not been fully studied, typed, and collected for science. Many of the specimens are mis-identified and some are duplicated depending on how long between collections. Your pictures are good. You might want to post to plecoworld or plecoplanet and see what they say.

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
i looked at plecoplanet. i don't have an account with them to ask members but that's a great website! thanks.

im not totally sure what it is. iv looked at some videos and pictures of L128, the blue phantom pleco, and it looks similar if not the same. note the lighter fringe on the back of the dorsal and tail fin.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Also looks very similar to an L240. When they are young, the spots are very white and larger, but as they get older, the spots get much smaller and seem to lighten up a bit . Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store