Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    09-16-2013 4:50 PM

55 Gallon Mbuna (P. saulosi) Project/Build

Hello everyone.
    This build/project thing is going to be for a 55 gallon Lake Malawi Mbuna biotype, species-only tank of Pseudotropheus saulosi.
    I'm posting it here in General Freshwater because I'll probably need some really basic help along the way.

On Friday I went to go buy a $50 dollar 50 gallon aquarium, and ended up getting a 55 instead. Sweet. It came with a 48Ē F40T10 Daylight bulb, a Tetra Whisper 200w heater, and an Aqua-Tech 30-60 filter.

Got it home, and on Saturday I cleaned it out with some warm water and a rag. Not perfect, but I got out the piles of cigarette ashes (Weirdest thing Iíve found in a tank). Then I filled up the tank with about 10 gallons of water, because I was worried about the bottom seals. The tank has black silicone haphazardly spread all over the outside seams, and Iím still trying to figure out why. Will most likely scrape it off soon. Later today Iím going to one of the big hardware stores to pick up some sand and some egg crate, then Iím going to go pick up some other aquarium supplies nearby.

Regardless, here are my plans:

Lighting: Iím just keeping what I have. Itís a 40w bulb, and I doubt Iíll need more. Itís really bright and very white.
    Substrate: Hopefully pool filter sand, but maybe some type of play sand. I don't need any buffering for my well water.
    Dťcor: Rocks. Lots. I live on a lake (or a giant mudding area since they drained the lake for Winter), and I have some of Tennesseeís finest rocks at my disposal. Iíll just boil them, cool them, silicone them together, then plop them on the egg crate.
    Plants: Um, none probably. I might add a few Java Fern for a splash of color, but otherwise no.
    Heater: Iím going to buy another heater (200w or 300w) and use both in the sump....
    Filtration: Now weíve gotten to the fun part. Iím going to do a DIY sump-wet/dry-overflow-filter thing. Iíve been reading articles for days, and all of my mental compasses are pointing in that direction. I have lots of the parts needed for most of the plans Iíve seen online, and this is a cheaper alternative to buying a canister filter. I can get the whole system for less than $35 and have more power behind it. (Well that, and I bloody hate canisters. I had one once, and I about threw it against the wall.)Iím also going to use the Aqua-Tech filter on the tank itself since it has a long uptake spout that will reach almost to the bottom.

Within the next week I plan to have the substrate and decor finished, and hopefully begin cycling the tank while only running the HOB filter. I figure that I can get most of the beneficial bacteria growing while I'm designing and working on the sump-wet/dry-overflow-filter thing. I know you can't give these things a due date, but I'm hoping to have everything finished (including settling in the fish) by mid-March.

I'm just getting back into this hobby after a long hiatus, so I'll probably make mistakes and need lots of suggestions, but I hope you enjoy watching this all come together. I'm really coming to love
    Pseudotropheus saulosi, and I want to show how beautiful by giving them the best environment I can.
    Weird? Check. Odd? Check. Acting like that freak you saw at Wal*Mart yesterday? Oh yeah.

you are hypnotized! LOL livebearerfreak's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    douglas harvey
    awsome! any updates? and what is the deminentions of the tank? looks like maybe a 4 foot 75? ( 4 foot by 18 by 21 high )
    help save monster aquaria network! sign the petition please! http://support.monsterfishkeepers.com/
    have 30 tanks, onces set up now are four 20G one 20L one 10. but have tanks from 5 gallons up to four 55s

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Heath
    Last Activity
    10-30-2014 7:10 PM
    Sweet, dude. Subscribed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigrid View Post
    The local mini-pet store folks would not know a dandelion from a marijuana plant, oooops "noxious weed", and that is the sad truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMinNC View Post
    *pokes dead horse with stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastoma View Post
    Don't throw fish. That's not nice.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by livebearerfreak View Post
    awsome! any updates? and what is the deminentions of the tank? looks like maybe a 4 foot 75? ( 4 foot by 18 by 21 high )
    The dimentions are 48" long, 13" wide, 21" tall, so it's a 55 gallon.
    Weird? Check. Odd? Check. Acting like that freak you saw at Wal*Mart yesterday? Oh yeah.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    My only update at the moment is that I got some QUIKRETE Pool Filter Sand, washed it out, and put it in the aquarium on top of some eggcrate. I really like the color, which is a more natural stone color than white sand, but it's way too dusty. I rinsed the sand 20 times and it's still dusty and clouded the aquarium. I had to do a few water changes before the water cleared. Overall though, I'd recommend the sand if you have the patience to work with it.

I've also been checking the water in the tank, and I'm naturally getting 8.2pH which is awesome for cichlids. The hardness, etc is perfect too. To avoid messing with the pH any, I've decided to just use natural slate from the lake. It's free, and it's not as heavy as the rocks I was looking at before.

I'm also purchasing a 300w heater from a member here on the forum, so I'll have 500w between both heaters. The 200w alone can only get the temperature up to 74 degrees Fahrenheit.

Last but not least, I'm working on the design for the sump filter, and it's going great. More details on that next time I update.

Overall though, it's going good. I don't have internet at my house anymore, which has prevented me from updating constantly. Hopefully that gets fixed soon. There will be pictures next time though! Thanks for subscribing and viewing!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-17-2012 10:18 AM
    With the quikrete i just put a bunch in a home depot bucket then kept the hose running until it was crystal clear took about 30minutes but did the job

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by markus789456 View Post
    With the quikrete i just put a bunch in a home depot bucket then kept the hose running until it was crystal clear took about 30minutes but did the job
    I would have done that, but we don't have a hose so I had to manually get water from the tiny bathroom sink and fill the bucket to rinse it. At least now when I mess with the sand in the aquarium a giant cloud of dust doesn't come up.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    John Larson
    Last Activity
    04-03-2012 11:57 AM
    Keep up with some pictures!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-17-2012 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zbbal View Post
    I would have done that, but we don't have a hose so I had to manually get water from the tiny bathroom sink and fill the bucket to rinse it. At least now when I mess with the sand in the aquarium a giant cloud of dust doesn't come up.
    Oh god that had to been annoying and messy. Luckily at my house we have a garden hose in the back and front of the house :-) making life easier for things like this lol

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Hey everyone, I've got a few pictures of me putting the QUIKRETE into the tank. Not exciting, but well...it's pictures, right?

As you can see, the first batch wasn't that cloudy, but then I added the second batch and...

Bam! Sand cloud! So I let the filter run for 24 hrs and got a milky water quality...

I don't have pictures of after the water change yet, but the water is now clear and doesn't produce dust clouds when the sand is stirred.

As for for the sump/filter/wet-dry thing, I've decided to go with a slightly modified version of this...

Help and advice are greatly appreciated.

Not really a major update, but it's something I guess...hope I'm not boring anyone.
    More updates soon!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information