red cherry shrimp qestion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
I have a small shrimp tank, I can see baby shrimp swimming around, they are tiny. I have a clown loach in a different tank which is not winning the fight for food. if I place the loach in the shrimp tank to eat the new born snails, will it eat the newborn shrimp as well? probably will not do this, but just curious about it as an idea.

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
figured as much. Guess I will wait until the new shrimps are a little bit bigger. once I have a thriving colony I wouldnt mind letting the runt in there for some food time. there is no way it could eat an adult shrimp, this loach is just far to small.

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
If you do move the loach into the shrimp tank, keep a close eye. It could potentially wipe out your shrimp colony.

Alasse

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
QLD, Australia
Real Name
Rebecca
Do not underestimate your small loach!

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
Well I was looking to kill several birds with one stone. by putting the runt loach in that tank, it would not have the competition, and might actually get a bit bigger. motive number 2 was something to eat these strange worm looking critters I see on the glass from time to time. I am questioning how clean the soil I used was.. and am pondering starting over with a different scape and a better cleaner soil in the bottom. any ideas as to how to control this strange population of critters, the shrimp couldnt care less about them.
I was thinking maybe a few of the neon tetras I have could be moved over there for a day or 2 at a time, to kind of help clean up the non shrimp organisms in the tank. chances are they will get a few of the baby shrimps, there are lots of hiding spots so I am certain a few will get through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store