HOW DO YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MALE AND FEMALE BOLIVIAN RAMS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
OK this is my dillemma I need to increase the school of fish I already have in my 36 gallon bow. In the past I have tried having 2 bolivian rams in the tank but when I have a few in the tank one only seems to survive. In the past I tried having 4 bolivian rams and then tried 2. I am down to one male and he has been in the tank for a long time and is flourishing. I think the deaths may have been from stress I know they can be territorial having 4 in the tank at one time may have been too many. If I were to chance it again I would want to get a female but how do you tell them apart. I know what the male looks like but they say that sometimes that females can have that structure as well. Should I just leave the one and just increase the other schools of fish. Not sure what to do.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Thankyou!

Thank so much that website helped out so much I appreciate it. Now gonna go check my bolivian ram again and see if it truly is a male or female :).

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
It's extremely difficult to sex them with certainty, and even if you're able to find a female there's no guarantee they'll get along any better than two males. I would increase the schooling fish instead. Even with lots of cover, they're usually happiest being the only ram in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store