12 gallon Nano Cube DX (first) saltwater build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

armada

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Was given a twelve gallon Nano Cube DX not too long ago from my mom's boss who has more tanks and fish than even I do.
Today I was supplied with water, live rock, live sand, bucket of salt mixture, extra equipment, etc. from the same person -- all for free.
The thing that's always kept me from diving down into saltwater was the initial emptying of the wallet, so after receiving all the aforementioned items for free, I decided... why not?
I'm already very well aware this is going to be a long process full of research and questions and mistakes, but it will also be a learning one.

February 13, 2012
Re-assembled tank parts, filled with water to do a leak test: all seemed fine. Tested pump, works. Removed water to begin possible scapes for the tank, but decided to check the lighting first. Everything plugged up fine, but nothing worked - not until the hood started rattling and smoking. I contacted the previous owner and he offered to take a look at it and fix anything he can.
In the meanwhile, I attempted at adding salt to the water in the tank and couldn't get the hydrometer to read above 1.014
Better luck next time?
(Still unsure of any possible stock-lists. If the hood gets fixed/replaced soon, I'll probably just let the tank cycle with ls/lr for a while until I've done a plethora of research and am 100% positive on what I want to stock with. I was thinking about possibly some Zoas? Not sure if I'd need to upgrade lighting for those or not, though. Just a thought.)

tank feb 13 2012.png
lr feb 13 2012.png

tank feb 13 2012.png lr feb 13 2012.png

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Always mix the salt water in a tub or bucket not in the tank. It doesn't always dissolve completely when mixing and you could end up with a surprise reading on salinity a few days down the road.

I always use a raw shrimp from the supermarket suspended in a nylon to cycle my SW tanks. It works like a charm. here is the link to the sticky we have on cycling.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?91273-Cycling-Methods-amp-Procedures

Welcome to the dark side. We have you now. Good luck and keep us posted.

armada

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I thought of that only afterwards, and realised it would've saved me a lot of hassle.Thank you for that information, it seems like such a quick, yet efficient cycling method.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
The longest I have spent with it is 10 days.

armada

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Charlotte, NC
An update!
March 15, 2012
Finally received the hood back, after a long, drawn-out month. I've had the water sitting in the tank, with the rock submerged in water in a 5 gallon bucket. The other day I scaped the rock in the tank, and upon receiving news of the hood's arrival, I added the live sand into the tank. I've been waiting for it settle for a couple hours now, I've never used sand in any aquarium before (crazy, I know) so I just carefully shoveled it in the tank, but still ended up with water that looks straight from the swamps.
After plugging in the hood, I realised that only two bulbs were working and only one of them was working as well as it should. Both fans were still shot, but working nonetheless. I've found two fan replacements for twenty dollars that are being ordered within the day, and all four bulbs will be replaced as soon as possible. In the meantime, I'll let the sand settle, top off the tank sometime this weekend, then hopefully get the filter and powerhead going.
Once everything is up and running effectively, I'll start on the shrimp cycling and begin water testing.
Still unsure of corals or fish. Thinking about zoas and maybe polyps for corals? Still have lots of research to do.
I'm also interested in these fish (not all together, of course!)
Bangaii Cardinal
Percula or Ocellaris Clownfish
Firefish Goby
Royal Gramma
also
Red Banded Shrimp
Hermit Crabs
etc

I've included a picture of the tank with one and half lights working, and sand trying to settle
also thinking about going to the LFS and buying some of their live sand to help kick-start the cycle and because I like deeper sandbeds

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1331869033.948826.jpg

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sand might take a day or two to settle. So are you running water through the rear chambers? If so, don't foregt to swap out/rinse out your floss/pads to remove the debris (it will clear up a little faster). You don't need the light to cycle in case you didn't want to wait to get started. I really would avoid a sandbed any deeper than 2" in your size tank. I prefer the depth you have it at currently. You tank will be much cleaner as a result of a shallower bed. Fish options look good but the coral banded shrimp can be a bit on the aggressive side and may grab on to a small fish if the opportunity presented itself (small tank = more opportunity). If you want a shrimp, look into the skunk cleaner. Out and about, colorful and most will even clean your hands for you :)!

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
Welcome to the salty side. I do warn you, even tho the tank is free stocking it costs a pretty penny too. I have an 8 gallon biocube that I paid 50 bucks for and I probably have 300 is fish, shrimps, and corals. Tanks been running for a year now and stocking is,

Orange spot shrimp goby
Tailspot Blenny. (great fish IMO)
Pistol shrimp
2 sexy shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
1 Pom Pom crab
1 porcelain crab
5 blue leg hermits
2 scarolotte hermits
5 Astrea snails
5 nasarious snails
More tiny starfish than I can count lol

Corals are:
Small brain
Candy canes
Zoas (4 types)
Green star polyps
Kenya tree
Pulsing Xenia
Mushrooms (6 types)
And a maxi mini anemone (I know technically not a coral)

The possibilities are endless but expensive:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

armada

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the input! I like the depth of sand as well, the tank's cleared up today and I only found a couple spots near the rock that need to be filled in. A little more sand couldn't hurt, eh? But thank you! I'm still so unsure of anything I want to put in, but I've got lots of time for lots of thinking. So many possibilities!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Filling in bald spots isn't a biggie. Sand beds either need to be shallow or deep (6+ inches). Deep sand beds can be tricky which is why most that run one do so remotely (sump, refugium, etc) so if problems pop up they can be taken offline without disturbing them in the display tank.

armada

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Update March 24, 2012
Everything's set-up, fans and bulbs still haven't been ordered, pump blew out.
Decided to do tests today with a liquid "API Saltwater master test kit"
Ph: 7.8
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Also found a small possible leak from underneath the tank. Contemplating tearing it all down and giving up. Many more problems than I anticipated.
Tank is clear and rockwork is nice, though.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332613113.558417.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store